UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60245  
Subject: Social Security 'Secrets' Date: 1/24/2013 6:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Unfortunately, Social Security has some very nasty “gottcha” provisions, so if you take the wrong benefits at the wrong time, you can end up getting the wrong, as in smaller, benefits forever.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kotlikoff/2012/07/03/44-social-s...

I do realize that this article might be a wee bit self serving (this guys sells software to maximize Social Security benefits). However you can read his list of gotchas for free... I learned some new ones...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47429 of 60245
Subject: Re: Social Security 'Secrets' Date: 1/24/2013 6:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
I read that some folks want to delay benefits for some years for new beneficiaries, thus forcing people to stay in the workforce. At the same time, we already have too many workers for the jobs available. Is a conundrum, no?

Better to encourage early retirement, thus getting people out of the workforce. But, aha! SS will need more money! So, we need to raise the SS tax. Easiest way is to eliminate the ceiling of SS taxes. Likely won't even have to raise the rate.

Make full SS available at 62. No increases for staying longer.

This is what the Europeans have done, successfully.

Count Upp

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47430 of 60245
Subject: Re: Social Security 'Secrets' Date: 1/24/2013 6:58 PM
Recommendations: 6
Kotlikoff has a regular column at the PBS News Hour website where he promotes his $40 Social Security software and answers questions from readers. He frequently gives bad information that is corrected by a couple of retired Social Security Administration workers who stalk the site. As they advise, "Your local Social Security office will sit down and go through the options with you, and it's free."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2013/01/why-you-should-w...

intercst

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47440 of 60245
Subject: Re: Social Security 'Secrets' Date: 1/25/2013 4:36 PM
Recommendations: 0
<<I read that some folks want to delay benefits for some years for new beneficiaries, thus forcing people to stay in the workforce. At the same time, we already have too many workers for the jobs available. Is a conundrum, no?

>>

It's certainly a conundrum for Obama.

Putting the baby boomers on the scrap heap of retirement before they can afford it would not surprise me as an Obama solution, since producing JOBS for people has proven to be so difficult for him.

<<Better to encourage early retirement, thus getting people out of the workforce. But, aha! SS will need more money! So, we need to raise the SS tax. Easiest way is to eliminate the ceiling of SS taxes. Likely won't even have to raise the rate.

>>

RAISE taxes!

<<Make full SS available at 62. No increases for staying longer.

>>

RAISE benefits!

Why am I not surprised that a liberal makes these suggestions?

<<This is what the Europeans have done, successfully.

>>

Of course the French are choking on their early retirement scheme. The Greeks don't seem to be doping well either.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47449 of 60245
Subject: Re: Social Security 'Secrets' Date: 1/25/2013 11:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
The Greeks don't seem to be doping well either.

They should seek advice from Lance Armstrong...

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47482 of 60245
Subject: Re: Social Security 'Secrets' Date: 1/27/2013 9:01 PM
Recommendations: 2
"The Greeks don't seem to be doping well either.

They should seek advice from Lance Armstrong... "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Such things go in cycles.

Howie52

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement