Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am in the process to trying to convince a relative to pay their home heath care worker social security or self employment tax. my argument for this is that it is cheaper to do this, then to pay the same amount in income tax and or state tax. I am using turbo tax from last year and plugging the numbers in so he can see the difference.

if this works, he has a very big concern:
1) she has a social security number. but we do not have it. if we give her a check to cover this as self employment tax will she spend it on that or something else. unless we only make it out to the IRS?
2) he is afraid she will quit. they are very dependent on her and I do not think we can get any one to replace her. his wife is VERY non compliant.
3) I suspect that the worker will also go ballistic because if you have to pay social security tax, would that also alert the IRS to pay income tax. I suspect she was not planing doing this. I hope I am wrong on that.
4) don't tell me to fire her, that is not going to work. I tried on several occasions.

they are living on the proceeds from selling stock, and some dividends and almost 75% of this is going to this worker. Personally I think she is under paid. you do not wont to know what goes on in that house!
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement