Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SegaRob Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1203  
Subject: software / calculator to analyze option yields ? Date: 11/12/2012 11:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Fool recommends comparing option yields (and other parameters) to help decide on contracts to buy. But the whole process seems very tedious and time-consuming. Is there any software or calculator to simplify the process? It would be very easy to do in an excel sheet, but I'm not sure how to import real-time data for options into excel. TIA!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1096 of 1203
Subject: Re: software / calculator to analyze option yiel Date: 11/16/2012 11:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Sometimes the brokers can some functionality, but I will say there is a great education to be had by DIY with Excel, or even on paper while you're getting started.

Excel does have some web-scraping tools itself. Depends on your version, but mine has what are called "Saved Queries" that can load webpages. Not as good as Lotus 1-2-3 from about ten years ago, but still pretty good.

Lastly, maybe take a look at this website, it's very useful. Thanks from me whoever wrote it!!!

http://remote.exigo.com/op/find/writtenput

Author: Zumba Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1097 of 1203
Subject: Re: software / calculator to analyze option yiel Date: 11/17/2012 9:04 PM
If you have an account with TDAmeritrade/Thinkorswim you can get most of that information on the desktop platform.

Author: SegaRob Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1102 of 1203
Subject: Re: software / calculator to analyze option yiel Date: 11/26/2012 9:42 PM
that link is super helpful! thank you so much!

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1114 of 1203
Subject: Re: software / calculator to analyze option yiel Date: 12/10/2012 5:32 PM
Recommendations: 2
kahunacfa,

You wrote, Bridge Data Systems and Bloomberg Terminals both have software to analyze options in real time. I believe that a Bloomberg terminal costs about $50K - $65K per month.

Very helpful to an Options Beginner, I'm sure. Obviously your point was to discourage options beginners from playing this game - not necessarily bad advice, BTW.

Options beginners might be better served to check out the tools at their broker. Schwab, E*Trade and TD Ameritrade all offer various analysis tools for options. And the formula for pricing an option is known as the Black-Scholes algorithm. If your broker doesn't offer a Black-Scholes calculator somewhere on their site, there are free ones available on various websites...

Of course Black-Scholes only tells you what the option should be trading at given the past performance of the stock. It does not tell you how future news and price action might affect the performance of the option. Also anticipated news can move the current option price away from the "BS" number as market opinion shifts. The BS number is only an "ideal" number based on historical price action and a current discount rate.

Lots of brokers now offer option analytic tools for free to account holders. Obviously the reason for offering such a service is to give their customers confidence to trade ... so they can reap more in commissions. Do they make you a better trader? Answering that is beyond me.

- Joel

Author: IlanBigfoot Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1123 of 1203
Subject: Re: software / calculator to analyze option yiel Date: 12/29/2012 8:31 AM
Just want to let folks know the URL for the website has changed. Once again, great site!

http://dollarfor40cents.com/find/writtenput

Author: delu723 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1138 of 1203
Subject: Re: software / calculator to analyze option yiel Date: 2/14/2013 10:29 AM
Seems that http://dollarfor40cents.com/ has been down for a few days?! I've been getting time outs when trying to connect this week ......

Author: dollarfor40cents One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1139 of 1203
Subject: Re: software / calculator to analyze option yiel Date: 2/14/2013 11:31 AM
delu723,

Thanks for the heads up. My network admin had some firewall configuration issues which should be resolved.

Take care and good luck out there.

David

Author: Hittfeld One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1163 of 1203
Subject: Re: software / calculator to analyze option yiel Date: 7/11/2013 4:53 AM
Thanks for that helpful site.

Regards

Hittfeld

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement