Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello,

Just got a 1099-B with a check attached for selling a loser. IMO, I got everything correct how I'll have to report the loss on the 2008 Sch.D, but to feel more confident I came here to ask a few questions and to ask to review my calculations. I sold the entire DRIP holding of 92.65 shares.

1. When does my short-term start? The sale occured on July 3,2008. I have invested on July 3, 2007 and the next one on July 6,2007. IMO, investments on July 6, 2007 and later would be Short-term, and anything prior to 7/6/07 would be Long-term, meaning that 7/3/07 belongs to the LT 'camp'. Correct?

2.Sale side....
The 1099-B states proceeds of $2,056, but the check is $2,034 due to transaction fees. I'd like to confirm with you that I'm correct to use NET proceeds to calculate the average sale price: $2,034/92.65shares=$21.9536/share. And then use this price when splitting between ST and LT shares.

3.Purchase side....
I have to calculate the total amount spent on ST shares and do the same thing for LT shares. The total amount would include my cash investments + reinvested dividends + co.paid fees.
After (2) and (3) steps put this info on Sch.D and calculate ST and LT losses.
Sounds correct?

Thanks so much.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement