UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFNico Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189516  
Subject: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/8/1999 7:49 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Netscape Communicator 4.5 (not the most recent version, I know) has been crashing with increasing frequency and consistency under two circumstances that may or may not be related, but which I have definitely identified, at least somewhat. This started about a month ago. I'm wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the same thing.

In one situation, I'll go to a page, it will load, and I can see the Navigator status bar indicates it is pulling something in from ngadcenter.net or sometimes Olgivy.ngadcenter.net. (The "ng" refers to NetGravity.) My drive will churn in an unusual way for a second or two, and then netscape.exe crashes and unloads. This is now happening at least a couple of times a day -- most recently, about 10 minutes ago, at the WSJ Interactive site.

Perhaps related to this, I'm not sure, but I get the same kind of crash when a site starts to download ads that the status bar indicates are associated with Enliven, which is a rich media technology of Excite@Home's. (These are not ads for Enliven, but ads that as best I can tell are either using Enliven technology or are coming from a server associated with Enliven. I'm connecting via dialup.) The page will load (or start to load) and the status bar will indicate something to do with Enliven, perhaps in association with AppServer, and then netscape.exe will crash. As with the ngadcetner crashes, I can always hear them coming by the drive churning for about 2 seconds just before the final crash. I have found these Enliven ads at CNET and other places.

A variation of the Enliven crash is, after getting an Enliven-associated ad, the browser won't crash, but pages will no longer load completely, and will stall out at about 75%, according to the status bar. The page itself is dead, as is the entire browser window -- there is no response when I click on it. Sometimes the keyboard works, so a new browser window can be opened, but the default page (a small local page of nothing but text and links that otherwise works fine) loads only about 75% of the way, and that browser window is also non-responsive. Netscape has to be completely unloaded (sometimes using Windows Task Manager) before it will work properly.

Does any of this sound familiar, or suggest anything to anyone?

Thanks, Fools!

Nico

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: aps3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1264 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/8/1999 8:46 AM
Does any of this sound familiar, or suggest anything to anyone?

I've had problems with ads and my version of netscape as well. Not quite as bad as yours. My solution was to get ad-blocking software. Greatly smoothes my internet experience.

Author: DerektheDJ Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1306 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/10/1999 3:35 AM
>>I've had problems with ads and my version of netscape as well. Not quite as bad as yours. My solution was to get ad-blocking software. Greatly smoothes my internet experience.

Ya know, I've been having the same problems ever since "upgrading" to MSIE 5.0. 4.0 was sooo much better. Case in point, can anyone get this page to load using MSIE?

www.visiosonic.com

Derek

P.S. What's the best of the ad blockers?

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1310 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/10/1999 1:09 PM
Ya know, I've been having the same problems ever since "upgrading" to MSIE 5.0. 4.0 was sooo much better. Case in point, can anyone get this page to load using MSIE?

">www.visiosonic.com

I do not have MSIE on my Red Hat Linux 6.0 system, but it loads fairly quickly and with no problems with Netscape Communicator 4.6.1.

Author: lipsonl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1311 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/10/1999 4:18 PM

www.visiosonic.com

I was able to load it with MSIE 5.0. I'm running Windows 98 Systems Second Edition on a P-166 with 64MB of memory.

Lenny

Author: Cerumen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1313 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/10/1999 7:17 PM

www.visiosonic.com

IE 5.0 nope (128 bit encryption)
Communicator 4.5 Yup

Win 98 1st edition
128 mb ram

Author: DerektheDJ Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1315 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/11/1999 8:15 PM
<<
www.visiosonic.com

IE 5.0 nope (128 bit encryption)
Communicator 4.5 Yup

Win 98 1st edition
128 mb ram>>

Same specs I have. MS releases a browser that screws up your computer so you have to upgrade to the second edition to fix the problems.

Don't ya love it?

Derek

Author: pbrustas Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1318 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/14/1999 11:08 AM

yea it works fine here with IE 5.0

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1323 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/14/1999 9:51 PM
MSIE 5.0 works fine for me also.

Donna

Author: apacherose Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1368 of 189516
Subject: Re: Some ads crash my browser. Date: 9/25/1999 1:58 AM
After being unable to access our discount broker's new web site, I finally called Tradestar technical support & they informed me that Microsoft IE 5.0 was needed to access the newly designed site. Called AOL to find out the specifics & was referred to Keyword: 128 browser to download 5.0. Everything works like a charm now--TMF & all other sites come up almost instantly versus s..l..o..w access under the previous browser-which was IE 3.2(the AOL rep showed me this under add/remove programs--she was so helpful & informative). Approximately 3-4 months ago, we upgraded to a 56K modem and had additional RAM installed, with no noticeable improvement in accessing web sites...until downloading AOL IE 5.0!!

Hope this tidbit may be helpful to someone!!
Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement