UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HellertownSmith Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10514  
Subject: Some Advice Please Date: 1/27/2007 10:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I am hoping I can get some objective advice...

My husband and I are finally jumping on the bandwagon and upgrading our television and adding surround sound. Believe me, the kids are thrilled. We have always had Sony televisions and have had great luck with them. We were looking at a 46" XBR tonight and thought it was great, until we saw a 46" Sharp Aquos set. I really wish these sets were displayed side-by side. The Sony was $900.00 more. Needless to say, we are now undecided. Does anyone here have firsthand knowledge of these sets he/she is will to share?

But wait....there's more....

This takes us to surround sound. At one store, if we weren't willing to drop about $3,500.00 on a system, the saleman really was not interested. Since no one is a major audiophile in the house, and my husband admits to having a "tin ear", we are trying to manage a system around the $1,500.00 mark. We would like something good for movies, not the nuances in jazz. A decent subwoofer for some punch would be nice. At the next store, the salesman was pushing the following: Klipsch Quintent III speakers and a Sub-10 subwoofer, along with a Yamaha DV-S5950BL (HDMI ready DVD) and HTR-5940 Receiver. I know I am forgetting something here and I am sorry about that. MSRP is $1,679.95 and it is currently marked down to $1,299.95. It sounded great at the store, but they all do to me. I really do not know much about Klipsch speakers. We have a Playstation 3, which has a Blu-Ray player in it, so I am not sure we would need another DVD player.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, I am all ears. We saved for a long time to make this happen, and whatever we buy we hope to have for the next ten years.

Thanks in advance!

TC

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement