Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: whyohwhyoh Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: Fire Update 2012 Date: 1/18/2013 8:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Some FIRE rambling...

Nice 5% tech gain so far this year, so when I just dumped 2%NW in company stock, I'm right back at 9% company stock in NW (post tax). I have to wait until May to dump another big chunk, then again in October, which I plan to do.

When calculating net worth I multiply all my company stock by 0.65 since when I sell, it will get hammered down (fed+state tax).

There was a comment on whether or not to include unvested stock in net worth calcs.... I do include them. It is actual money on paper, and I pretty much always sell once vested so I do realize the gain. I have stock vesting continuously and nothing is more than 3 years out. Including it in NW gives a better picture of where I'm headed.

Paying down the mortgage.... with rates so low I don't. Maybe as I get closer to being able to make a decent move on it, I will. When I refi, I do pay it down a little, opposite of what most do I presume. If I refi again this year (rates still dropping) I'll probably throw more at it to reduce the initial loan balance.

My house is an investment, I include it in net worth calcs. I plan to sell the house some day and realize all the gains. It has 6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, in an expensive neighborhood, we don't need that when we FIRE. I am constantly doing small upgrades, sweat equity, on the house each year to help it sell some day.

Right now to calculate what my house is worth, I have been recently using a conservative 2%-3% yearly increase, and multiply by 0.93 to account for costs to sell. For comparison, Zillow is showing 10% year over year for past 2 years for my home and my zip code. Silicon Valley is in full rebound over the past 2 years. Apple and Google probably have a lot to do with it. Traffic is much worse now... my other economic indicator. If I get some good neighborhood comps, I might adjust upward, but I like to remain conservative in my assessment.

I consider my house investment as protection against inflation.

I-bonds look decent right now for fixed income category of my networth. I'm thinking of putting a bunch into I-bonds. I have been using FNBO for many years now, which is 0.85%APR savings at the moment.

How to help FIRE.... I have a 2007 Honda with 86k miles on it, $17k new (out the door). My wife drives a 2007 Subaru... we bought it with 40k miles for $11k. We'll drive these to the ground.

My motto:
I don't mind spending money.... I just hate wasting it!

--
whyohwhyoh
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement