Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Some general thoughts:

When money comes out of an IRA, unless it's a Roth, it's taxed as ordinary income regardless of its nature. With this in mind, if you plan a mixture of short and long-term investments, you may be wiser to keep the long-term ones in your taxable account and do your short-term trading in the IRA. By doing this you would defer the short-term income until you retire and the long-term until you actually take the gains, at which time they will be taxed at a favorable rate. (We're assuming here, of course, that all will go up <g>.)

If you're planning on holding everything at least a year and a day, look next at dividend yields. If something's paying a lot of dividends, it's probably wiser to keep that in your IRA and keep the low dividend stocks in your taxable account. With this approach you will defer tax on the dividends until retirement.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.