Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49467  
Subject: Some Ideas Date: 2/29/2000 9:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
I am planning to take the family to Disney World this spring or summer. Where is a good place to stay there? Thanks in advance.

George
Print the post Back To Top
Author: carrow1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7124 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 2/29/2000 9:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
For a family with kids, the winners are The Wilderness Lodge (Great Lobby) or The Polynesian (Fun Environment and location). I hate to advertise because I am not getting paid for this but Get the book "Walt Disney Workd with Kids 2000" by Kim Wright Wiley. Have fun!!

Author: DolleyCat Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7125 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 2/29/2000 9:43 PM
George -- The last time hubby and I went to DW, we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge and we really liked it. The time before we stayed at the Travel Lodge (although I think its been sold) and liked it, too. We prefer to stay somewhere in the Disney property because of the ease of getting around (buses, monorail, boats). My husband isn't good with parking lots. The next time we go we're looking at the New Orleans themed hotel (can't remember the name).

As a reservist, are you eligible to use military facilities? If so, there's Shades of Green on the Disney property. The cost is determined by rank. The last time I looked into it, I think it was around $85 a night for an O-5 (I'm not real sure about these numbers, it was five years ago). I think I still have the phone number if you're interested.

Vicki

Author: imuafool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7130 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 5:22 AM
Recommendations: 6
George,

Here are my recommendations for your family:

Moderate price range:

1. Dixie Landings Resort or Port Orleans Resort (adjacent to each other): rooms are very comfortable and adequate in size for families; both have food courts; the kids get their pizza at one counter, mom and dad get their meat, potatoes and veggies at another and dad pays for all at one register.

2. Carribean Beach Resort: very informal; very popular with families; rooms are slightly smaller than Dixie Landings/Port Orleans.

Higher price range:

1. Yacht Club Resort and Beach Club Resort (both next to each other): very nice design by architect Robert Stern (Disney board member); rooms are large; I like the scale of the place, i.e. an inn rather than a hotel.

2. Wilderness Lodge: Larger in scale than the above mentioned accommodations; large lobby; large number of hotel guests.

Higher, higher price range:

Resorts with monorail stations (Polynesian, Contemporary and Grand Floridian): I know a lot of families who like these resorts because the kids (if they're old enough) can jump on the monorail and go to the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT, while mom and dad stay back to lounge at the pool or do something else. :^)

Inexpensive:

1. All Star Sports Resort: Disney built these units to compete with Days Inn and other off site inexpensive chains. Each room has its own air conditioning unit! This complex is the closest to the Animal Kingdom and the furthest from the Magic Kingdom; you'll have to use Disney's buses to get around. Very popular for families on a tighter budget.

Lodging with kitchen, living room and bedrooms:

1. Village Resort, Treehouses, Fort Wilderness Fleetwood trailers and others: popular for folks who don't like crowds and hotels. You can call WDW and check what they offer.

I've stayed in all of the above. My favorite? Beach/Yacht Club resorts.

Disney has a website site that shows floor plans of room accomodations at WDW. Sorry I don't have it handy.

I would shy away from the Swan Resort (another Stern design) and Dolphin Resort (by architect Michael Graves who designed Disney Corporate headquarters building in Burbank) which are expensive and not Disney operated. The Lake Buena Vista area of WDW has a bunch of less expensive hotels, built in the 1970's and operated by outsiders; you don't get the Disney ambience at these places.

If this is your first visit, take your family to the Hoop Dee Doo dinner show at Fort Wilderness. This is a must!

Have great time!

Imuafool

Author: ParrotheadFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7131 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 8:08 AM
I am planning to take the family to Disney World this spring or summer. Where is a good place to stay there?

You realize, of course, that you're going to get a ton of different answers!

Where you stay depends entirely on your budget. My personal preference--when I can afford it--is the Grand Floridian Resort & Spa. This is Disney's flagship resort, and is being rennovated right now (actually, they may be done). Available are brand new rooms facing the Magic Kingdom. When you open your balcony door, you can hear the sounds of the park floating across the lagoon.

But in reality, ALL of Disney's resorts are great. You just about can't go wrong. Although with short planning, you may be limited in what's available.

Oh, and be sure to try to get a Magic Kingdom Club discount on your room and tickets!

PHF

Author: cawheat One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7133 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 8:36 AM
The best thing about a question like this is that the responses are all so varied, different and interesting.

Places I've stayed over the years: Contemporary (when it was 1 of only 3 resorts), Port Orleans, Dixie Landings (honeymoon), Caribbean Beach (last year), and once off site. My favorite so far was Port Orleans, but Dixie Landings is nearly the same. Least fav (but still cool) was Caribbean.

Interesting to note that when we stayed at the Contemporary I was but a wee lad with my parents. Next year, I will return now with my TWO kids. My how the "Circle of Life" comes around!

And, of course, they're all correct! We're going in February, and I think we're going to stay at Coronodo Springs, sort of a Mayan/Mexican theme.

No matter WHERE you stay at WDW, it's always unique and different.

Have fun!

C

Author: hearingj One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7134 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 8:49 AM
We went last spring, camped in Fort Wilderness, and had a blast. IMHO, if you have a trailer or RV, this is the only way to go (perhaps not in the heat of the summer...). Shuttles take you to the boat landing and the boats take you to the Magic Kingdom (my kids thought the boat ride was cool). Price is reasonable, especially when compared to the hotels on property, there are lots of things to do in the camp (horse back riding, swimming pools, etc), and the atmosphere is just a little more laid back.

Just food for thought-- have a great time!

JH

Author: scoopa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7135 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 8:50 AM
The hotels near Downtown Disney are worth a look. While they are not run by Disney they are still considered Disney Resort Hotels. This means you still get guaranteed admittance (even if the parks are full), free transportation to the parks, Disney guest services desk in the hotel, and the prices are usually a little less for a comparable room than the "Disney" hotels. These hotels are within walking distance to Downtown Disney West Side and in the case of the Best Western Lake Buena Vista hotel all rooms have a balconey. The restuarant/lounge at the top of this place has a spectacular view of the Disney Theme parks and fireworks displays.

P.S. For the guaranteed admittance remember to bring you room key and/or check-in receipt with you to as proof when going to the parks.

Author: JustCathy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7137 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 11:55 AM
If you are bringing kids, stay at the All Star Movie (or Sports) hotels on disney property, they are reasonably priced, and you can take disney transport back &forth to all the resorts. There were 9 of us the last visit and we loved being on the property without having to haul the car out everytime we wentout. If you want to spend more money for a hotel room, the Floridian, Swan7 Dolphin look gorgeous and seem a bit more adult-oriented.

Author: eitelj One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7140 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 2:46 PM
Hi:
I enjoy your writing! It's pretty much all been said as far as staying on property but I thought I'd throw in a couple of ideas. If you have kids, I would not stay at the Boardwalk area unless they are teenagers. Most of the clubs there are nice but adult-oriented. I think a much better place in about the same price range is the Yacht & Beach Club. It has almost everything going for it, a nice property; a great resturant which has not only a character breakfast but a great seafood buffet/clambake as well; the boat ride system is fun on its own; and finally, what has to be the best swimming pool that's not at a Disney water park. I just don't think that you can beat it!
Whatever you decide, I don't think that you can go wrong. Concerning Shades of Green, their website is HTTP://trol.redstone.army.mil/mwr/afrcs/shades_green.html.

Room rates are based on rank or paygrade.
E1-E5 E6-O3 O4-O6 O7-O10
Leave $62.00 $87.00 $92.00 $99.00
Shades of Green
PO Box 22789
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2789

Hotel Direct: Phone 1-407-824-3400 - Fax 1-407-824-3460

For Reservations: Phone 1-407-824-3600 - Fax 1-407-824-3665

As a Reservist or Guardsman, you are eligible to stay there.

Have a great vacation,

E.J.

Author: lchmiel Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7141 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 5:06 PM
Recommendations: 3
I won't post about places to stay, as you received many good responses, but I couldn't help responding to your mentioning your were going to visit spring or summer. We live 1 1/2 hours from disney, and have went atleast twice a month for 11 months. We have learned a lot. As a Florida resident, it amazes me to see all of the hot sweaty masses jostling for position at DW. I've got to tell you, if you have any choice whatsoever of when you can visit, do yourself a favor and do NOT come during the summer. Sure you will have fun, but you will not have nearly the fun as you would have had you came in the late fall, winter or early spring. Unfortunately, spring break season is coming up and will last through April. It starts to get REALLY hot here after that. The humidity will suck the life out of you if you aren't used to it. I would suggest if at all, try to come during spring break if you only have the choice to come during then or summer. It will be just as crowded, but the heat and humidity won't be as stifling. If you want to have a positively enchanting time, come in November. It's beautiful, not cold, ( a little chilly at night), it's decorated for christmas and not busy at all until after Thanksgiving. I understand a lot of people just can't come anytime during the summer, but for those of you who can, take my advice. sorry for the long post. For a website that can make your visit to WDW about 100 times better, (not my website, and I'm not affiliated in any way, I just like it) try http://www.wdwig.com You'll be glad you did. Take care, and have fun--and you will, no matter when you go, I promise!

Lisa

George said:
<I am planning to take the family to Disney World this spring or summer. Where is a good place to
stay there? Thanks in advance.

Author: ParrotheadFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7142 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/1/2000 7:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
I've got to tell you, if you have any choice whatsoever of when you can visit, do yourself a favor and do NOT come during the summer.

In general, I agree with this. I don't intend to hit the parks (other than the water parks) during this time of year myself.

However... There are ways to minimize the effects of the heat and crowds during this time of year. If you've got time to spare and aren't worried about cramming Disney Magic (C)(R)(TM) into every minute of the day, you have some other options.

Remember that the parks are open later in the summer months. This means you can sleep late in the mornings, have a leisurely brunch, and maybe hit the pools for the afternoon. Head back to your room late in the afternoon, get freshened up, then make your way to the parks. You'll be getting there as the weather starts to cool off a bit and the crowds start to thin out. Have a nice sit-down dinner, and by the time you're done the lines and temperature will heave headed back down towards tolerable levels.

Although Animal Kingdom isn't usually open very late (7:00 PM is the latest I've seen so far), the other three parks can be open until 10:00, 11:00, and 12:00.

PHF

Author: cableguy92 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7144 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/2/2000 9:10 AM
I don't know if you meant which Disney property or outside the park. On our two trips to pay hommage to Mickey the rat we stayed in the park; first at the Carribean hotel and then at the Port Orleans hotel. These are two of the mid-range facilities & we were very satisfied with both. You generally don't spend a lot of time in the hotel anyway.

Whatever you do pick, I recommend staying within the park. It's pricey but the convenience makes it worth the price.

Have fun & tell the giant rat we said 'hello'.

Author: jimilla One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7145 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/2/2000 10:06 AM
Where to stay at Disney?

As has said before on this board you realy can't go wrong no matter where you stay on the Disney grounds.

Ask your self:

How much time do you plan to stay in the room?

Is a food court important to you or would you prefer a sit down waiter service dinner.

Are you planning on using the resort facilities such as boat rentals and things?

For our family we have stayed at several places. The All Star resorts (any one of them) are a nice no frills option. The food is inexpencive (by Disney standards), the pools and game room are a hit with the kids.

A Step up is Dixie Landing / Port Orleans, both have a food cort and sit down dinner service. The rooms are bigger and the grounds are nicer. It makes a nice inbetween option.

On the much higher scale is the Wilderness Lodge, don't let the name fool you it is as "Grand" as the Grand Floridian but with a nice National Park kind of theme. One nice thing is they have a charactor breakfast on site.

As stated before you can't go wrong and many families stay at differant location as part of the fun.

Enjoy,

Jim

Author: c2cd Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7147 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/2/2000 1:35 PM
We have been going WDW once a year for the last 20 years. If you take the family in the summer, do not go on the July 4th holiday period. It's the most crowd single day in the park. I would highly recommend staying on the property. The travel to and from the park really eats away the time. Plus they have hotels and recreation (RV's) area to fit your budget. Now that WDW has four theme parks, you should stay minimum of 5 to 7 days.

Finally I would recommend going in the April/May time period to miss all of the summer time crowds. Hope this helps and check out link below for more info.

http://disney.go.com/disneyworld/index_html.html

Author: Toto2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7148 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/2/2000 2:50 PM
My 2 cents:

The Carribean Beach Resort. We stay there, both because it's moderately priced, and because we're not spending a lot of time in the room, anyway. (Hell, even "Parking Lot Views" at WDW are well landscaped!) I understand they may be a little more spacious than the other resorts, though.

Whatever you do, I'd recommend an early morning visit to the Food Court there for breakfast. Fresh fruit in the "Outdoor Market" as you walk in, or incredibly delectible delights from the Cinnamon Bay Bakery! The others in the food court are "okay"...

Have fun, and I'll take an XL if you're bringing back T-shirts*!*

mike

Author: jpbailey Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7154 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/2/2000 5:54 PM
I thought the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World might be of some help for you:
http://www.wdwig.com/onoff.htm
It covers things to consider when making your choice and advantages and disadvantages of onsite verus offsite.

Their Hotel FAQ is real useful too:
http://www.wdwig.com/faq_hot.htm
It covers everything from theming to prices and includes pictures of each hotel too.

I've stayed at the Contemporary and Old Key West. Both were great! The hotel you choose will probably be determined by the age of your children and your price range in the end.

Hope that helps!
--John

Author: isewquilts2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7155 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/2/2000 6:09 PM
1. You MUST get the Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2000 by Bob Sehlinger. It's indespensible for rookies to WDW!!!
2. Where you stay depends a lot on the ages of your kids. Mine were 11 and 13 the first time we went--perfect ages!!--we stayed at Carribean Beach and it was excellent--we stayed a few years later at Dixie Landings and it was fine, but we liked CB better. All of the hotels on the grounds will treat you very well and the bus transportation system is fine....where you stay depends on the $$$$ you have to spend.
Get the book!

Author: TMFHunzi Big red star, 1000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7159 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/2/2000 9:42 PM
I am planning to take the family to Disney World this spring or summer. Where is a good place to stay there? Thanks in advance.

George,

Hey! I just got back from a 2.5 week vacation mostly at WDW. Give me a shout next time you're online and I'll give you any ideas I can. I also booked thru Shades of Green and posted some ideas at LBYMs when I got back.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

Author: PhatPhreddy One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7160 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 6:39 AM
Recommendations: 2
>I am planning to take the family to Disney World this spring or summer. Where is a good place to stay there? Thanks in advance.<

If you are hellbent on blowing wads of cash on the Disney experience then the Park is the place to be. However, if you have a family then there are many alternatives outside the park that have good amenities and, more important, full kitchens so you can prepare meals that your family enjoys. If you stay at the Residence Inn in Lake Buena Vista you get free use of all of the facilities in the Marriot World hotel next door. They have a lot of indoor facilities (pool, spa, etc.) in case the weather isn't perfect. You can also rent 3-4 bedroom homes in Kissimmee for $100-$125/night with screened pool. Publix and Goodings markets in the area cater to tourists so, in addition to the normal groceries, you can get a good line of precooked meals. There is also intense competition in the restaurants so great opportunities for dining exist that you miss when you stay in the park. The part about having to go into the park really isn't an issue if you arrive early (and, as any authority on WDW would counsel, arriving early is a key to a successful day at the park). The farthest we have ever stayed from the park is 2 miles from the "entrance", which really means about 10 miles from the parking lots, so we're talking 15 minute drive.

We used to live 1500 miles away from WDW so a trip was a major event that took months of planning and saving up for our yearly trip. Now we are 8 hour drive so it isn't as intense, we can take mini vaccations instead of the 10 day to 2 week trips we needed to make it worthwhile. A last note: our last visit to Orlando was the first time we took a vacation to FL with no intention of going anywhere near WDW, we spent the entire time at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. I don't consider that a fluke, they have really turned on the heat and are a serious competitor for tourist dollars.

Author: ParrotheadFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7161 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 8:23 AM
A last note: our last visit to Orlando was the first time we took a vacation to FL with no intention of going anywhere near WDW, we spent the entire time at Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure. I don't consider that a fluke, they have really turned on the heat and are a serious competitor for tourist dollars.

I'm still not sure what to make of IOA. I keep hearing that Disney management-types don't really view it as competition. They're saying that IOA has had no noticable effect on attendence at Walt Disney World, so they're not changing the way they run their parks...

PHF

Author: scoopa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7162 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 9:21 AM
Last vacation my wife and I spent time at WDW and IOA.
The differences that we noticed were: less crowded and more teens and young adults at IOA vs larger crowds and more families with smaller children at Disney. IOA seems to be the "thrill seeker" park vs Disney's broader family entertainment package. Yes, IOA does have the doctor Zeuss area but it is tiny in comparison to the Magic Kingdom.
We also noticed that the stores were more crowded at all the Disney parks than at Universal and that more people were leaving the parks with shopping bags at Disney. We had many more requests here at home for Disney souvenirs than ones from Universal.

Author: rpicardmichcom Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7164 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 11:41 AM
We stayed at the Disney Institute last December and enjoyed it quite a bit. I checked a couple different discount options and the Institute was always among the options. Our suite had a separate living room which was nice after our son went to bed. There was ample room to spread out and the kitchenette was equipped enough that we ate breakfast in our room. I was quite annoyed however when I had to pay an extra $50 to use the woefully inadequate exercise room.

I would be tempted to stay at the cheapies next time, depending on the amount of time that we actually spent in the room.

Author: redheadgirl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7165 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 11:51 AM

Dear George, I use to take small groups to Disney World and have stayed at most of the resorts there. My two most favorite places to stay were at the Port Orleans Resort...great for families and very convenient to everything at Disney & Epcot. The kids if you have any will just love the great big swimming pool...looks like a huge blue and pink dragon. The buses run about every 15 minutes to where ever you want to go.

The other resort I really like is The Grand Floridian. It's very upscale and expensive but my theory is that you can "buy" memories. It looks like an old Victorian Hotel and is right on the monorail line. Also, it's right across the lake from the Magic Kingdom so you can take a boat shuttle over to the park. It has huge pools, a beach, and wonderful restaurants and shops.

Hope this helps...if you have any other questions about Disney maybe I could answer them for you.

Have fun,
Connie

Author: ssasa Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7169 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 2:37 PM
George, I have stayed at Disney many times as the family has grown. We would recommend either Carribean Beach Resort. Inexpensive if you only need one room given that the grounds are beautiful and they have fantastic pools with a built in slide that the kids love. Also there is a nice food court on premises to help keep costs down.

If you need 2 bedrooms or more, I suggest the Marriot Residence Inn which is immediatly adjacent to the Marriot World Towers. You get two bedrooms plus pullout couch in living room, fully equipped kitchen, nice grounds and, again, a fantastic pool/slide complex in the adjacent World Towers which you are invited to use. Also there is a unique breakfast progrram included which saves with time and money,

One last note, the sooner you book, not only the greater availablity, but the lower the price. Have a great time.

Author: Bill85 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7171 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 3:44 PM
The Floridian was the best we have stayed at in Disney World.We heard the Dolphin was also nice.

Author: dickka Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7174 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 3:51 PM
Caribian Beach Resort is great

Author: j6010 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7178 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 4:23 PM
Any DIS owned property is nice. My favorite is old key west, which is a time share that also sells as a hotel room. Disclosure: own DIS and own time share in DIS, have not been disappointed in either. adios j6010

Author: mcgasser Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7179 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 4:30 PM
Dear Vacationer,

My wife and I were married in May of 1999 at Disney World. We had the stay of our lives at The Grand Floridian. It was a great experience. This hotel is located on Disney property and is spectacular. The monorail comes directly to the resort. It has it's own beach and mini-motorboat rentals. If and when we return, we will be sure to stay at The Grand Floridian again.

Author: danemall Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7180 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 6:25 PM
Concerning Shades of Green, their website is HTTP://trol.redstone.army.mil/mwr/afrcs/shades_green.html.

Room rates are based on rank or paygrade.
E1-E5 E6-O3 O4-O6 O7-O10
Leave $62.00 $87.00 $92.00 $99.00
Shades of Green
PO Box 22789
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-2789

Hotel Direct: Phone 1-407-824-3400 - Fax 1-407-824-3460

For Reservations: Phone 1-407-824-3600 - Fax 1-407-824-3665

As a Reservist or Guardsman, you are eligible to stay there.

Have a great vacation,

E.J.

Of note, Shades of Green lets any eligible guest reserve up to 3 rooms -- none of the other occupants need to be associated with the government whatsoever -- so if you know a friend in the military, invite him/her along and ask them to reserve the room.

Shades of Green was one of the 3 original Disney Hotels. It was the Disney Inn (the other 2 are the Contemporary and the Polynesian). It is located at the Magnolia and Palm golf courses and is a short walk from the Polynesian and the monorail line. The rooms are designed to sleep 5 people comfortably and are bigger than the rooms of any other Disney hotel (except for suites). The prices are more affordable than any other Disney resort and they are not taxed. You can buy park tickets at a discount and the tickets are not taxed. We have stayed there 4 times in the last 4 years and are itching to go back.

Jeff

Author: teammc Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7181 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 7:39 PM
George,

My family and I have been to Disneyworld twice in the last two years, each time for twelve days. Each time we stayed at Disney's Boardwalk Resort. It's a fun place in itself, with a carnival like atmosphere and a great pool. Epcot is a short ten minute walk and the Disney MGM Studios is across the street. If you can, request a lagoon view room, as it looks out over Epcot.

Marv M. and Family

Author: kirbyd Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7182 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 9:38 PM
Any one of the disney hotels would be great. My favorite one is the yacht and beach club resort.
We had the best time there.
Kirby

Author: harry1927 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7183 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/3/2000 11:27 PM
Where to stay depends on your pocket book. If you have extra cash it is more fun to stay on the Disney properties. The have some reasonable places. If money is a problem then stay in Kissimmee, which is only a few miles from Disney. You can find rooms there as reasonable as $35.00 a nite. You can get more information by writing the Chamber of Commerce or tourist information for Kissimmie and Orlando. A little resource and you can find what suits your budget. In Kissimmie you can find buses that will take you to Disneyland. Hope this will help you.

Author: Meesh97 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7185 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/4/2000 9:28 AM
i am a fan of the hotels which are on the monorail if your pocket can afford it. i went with a friend and her daughter and we split the cost of a room at the contemporary. wonderful hotel, great entertainment areas for children and the character breakfast at that hotel is wonderful. be sure to make reservations way in advance of your trip. you can eat there even if you aren't staying there. also, make reservations in advance for the mickey luau at the polynesian as well. i know it's hard to decide where to eat before you get there; however, advance reservations are a must for the most fun places at disneyworld. have a wonderful trip there.

Author: Toto2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7186 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/4/2000 9:35 AM
I've been reading where most WDW visitors urge using the bus system. True, they do get you to wherever you want to go, but I really recommend renting a car. I see people waiting in the stops as we drive past and just think it's worth the extra expense. This is especially true if you have to take connecting busses to get to your intended destination.

The first year I went to Orlando, we closed EPCOT one night, and the wait for our bus was interminable! We were beat and just wanted to get to the hotel. Any thoughts?

mike

P.S. Every Person Comes Out Tired!

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7188 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/4/2000 10:07 PM
As a reservist, are you eligible to use military facilities? If so, there's Shades of Green on the Disney property. The cost is determined by rank. The last time I looked into it, I think it was around $85 a night for an O-5 (I'm not real sure about these numbers, it was five years ago). I think I still have the phone number if you're interested.<?I>

Yes, I sure am eligible. We're probably going to stay there if I can get a reservation. We're planning on going the first week of June.

George

Author: TMFRunkle Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7189 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/4/2000 10:12 PM
I'm really (happily) surprised by all the responses I got to this message. Thanks for all the input. After going through everything, and discussing it with my wife, we're going to stay at Shades of Green and try to go the first week of June.

That coincides with my older son going off to Basic Training in the Army, so he doesn't have to be with Mom and Dad, and is before many of the schools let out up north. Since my other son is physically handicapped, staying off site in a cheaper motel would make things a bit more difficult, as would camping. Now to see if I can get a reservation.

George

Author: QuickClick Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7190 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/4/2000 10:22 PM
We have stayed at hotels located outside of and inside of Disney... and inside has it's advantages, which you pay for. We stayed at the Polynesian the grounds of the hotel made you think you were in Hawaii... but the rooms were pedestrian. The monorail advantage is well worth the extra cash they get for the hotel. Staying outside Disney requires car or hotel bus transportation into the Disney parks... warning....on severe crowd days, Disney has closed the parks due to the overcrowding. This happens during Feb and April school vacation weeks for example. If you were staying at a Disney hotel, you still get in... but all others might be turned away! This is only an issue if you are going to visit the 'World' during one of their peak visitor weeks.
On our next visit this April, we will be staying in a timeshare unit in Old Key West. Disney Timeshare owners can rent their places out if they don't wish to use them... and we'll rent the room for about a third less of what Disney would have charged us had we rented directly them them or a travel agent.
Search the Disney boards for info on renting timeshare units from Disney Vacation Club members. http://www.disneyinfo.com/bulletin.shtml
But make you plans at least 6 months ahead of time, more if planning on the timeshares... planning a visit to Disney World is like planning a major campaign... you can't start too early.

Author: utgirl Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7191 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/4/2000 11:40 PM
You will have a great time in Disney World, wherever you stay. However, I highly recommend The Grand Floridian. Adults love the elegance and "Great Gatsby" 1920's feel, yet it still caters to the kids. Beautiful grounds, awesome swimming pools, orchestra in the lobby and....you can see The Magic Kingdom across the lake. You can take the boat or the monorail.

Have Fun!

Author: ParrotheadFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7192 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/5/2000 10:35 AM
The first year I went to Orlando, we closed EPCOT one night, and the wait for our bus was interminable! We were beat and just wanted to get to the hotel. Any thoughts?

Yes, this can happen--and it stinks when it does!

But when I'm "beat", I'd rather wait in line for a bus (even if it's a long wait) than to negotiate the crowds trying to get out of the parking lot and find my way back to my hotel in the dark.

PHF

Author: Toto2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7193 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/5/2000 11:34 AM
and find my way back to my hotel in the dark.

PHF,

Yet another reason for them to change out those lightbulbs!

mike

Author: oleterrywallace Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7195 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/5/2000 10:50 PM
You are getting many good responses on this. My family of three stayed at the Carribbean (sp?) Village several years ago and liked it very much. It is one of the less expensive places available, but if you are going to spend most of your day out and about (and in lines, lines, lines) you gon't need luxury to do nothing much but sleep.

Author: davesbrew Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7206 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/6/2000 5:31 PM
A couple months ago, my wife and I stayed at The Polynesian Resort on our honeymoon.
It was pricey, but worth every penny. There was a good variety of food within the resort, and it tasted wonderful! The rooms were spacious, quiet, and clean. Request a water view if you can.
The feature that makes the Polynesian stand out as the best is the location. The polynesian is the only resort that has monorail access to both the Magic Kingdom, and Epcot. (The Magic Kingdom monorail pulls up in front of the lobby, and the Epcot monorail pulls into the Transportation and Ticket Center right next door. The walk from the Polynesian to the TTC takes about 5 min.)
I did a ton of research on this prior to our honeymoon. Here's the best info I found.

Online resources I would recommend are: www.disney.com and www.epinions.com

Books I would recommend are The Unauthorized Guide to WDW and Birnbaum's WDW with Kids.

Have Fun!

Author: deevnet Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7251 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/8/2000 9:06 PM
We stayed at the Dolphin in October. The Swan is a sister Hotel in the same complex. You can take a
boat to Epcot which is about 10 minutes away. Buses
will take you to any of the other parks from these
hotels. Depending on which park you plan on spending
the most time in you could consider the hotels close
to those parks. My hunch is they are all nice.

Dave

Author: gjhall Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7272 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/9/2000 3:30 PM
George,

Visited WDW last August for a week. My wife and I and 4 kids. We stayed at Coronado Springs. Very nice mid-range price, though the property is pretty spread out, 2 and 3 story buildings separated from the lobby.

Where ever you stay it MUST be a Disney property so you can take advantage of the express ride tickets. It's the only way to go. On selected popular rides only, you get an assigned time window, about an hour later, to get on the ride without waiting in line. Then you have time to eat, go on a less popular ride, etc. during the wait.

Buy one of the comprehensive Disney vacation books and decide before you get there, what you really want to do. There is so much to do, you don't want to waste time deciding after you get there.

Also, if you want to go to Cirque d' Soleil (sp?) or a special restaurant for dinner make reservations early, even before you get there to assure space and keep you from sitting down to eat at 10pm.

Have Fun!

Author: hockeymomof3 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7273 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/9/2000 4:09 PM
Where ever you stay it MUST be a Disney property so you can take advantage of the express ride tickets. It's the only way to go. On selected popular rides only, you get an assigned time window, about an hour later, to get on the ride without waiting in line. Then you have time to eat, go on a less popular ride, etc. during the wait.

FASTPASS is available to all WDW ticketholders, I believe. But there are so many other reasons to choose a Disney property that, for us, it's the only way to go!
Teri

Author: earlytime Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7282 of 49467
Subject: Re: Some Ideas Date: 3/9/2000 11:41 PM
George,

I agree with imuafool, the Beach and Yacht Club is the best place to stay. They have a great pool also, sort of like a miniture water park. You can walk to Epcot, take a boat or bus to MGM Studios and a bus everywhere else. Our next favorite place is the Polynesian. having the monorail at your doorstep is wonderful and the calm and peaceful atmosphere of Hawaii pervades the entire resort. Haven't tried any of the others but it is a definite Must to stay on the Disney property whenever you visit.

Since I've never posted here before or even read anything on this board before can you tell me where I can get more info on Fastpass?

Thanks

P.S. in case you couldn't tell, we really LOVE Disney.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (47) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement