Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFShadowDragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19164  
Subject: Re: What is your Avg Portfolio PE? Date: 2/10/2013 12:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Some mathematics - for those with math-phobia - will help to illustrate the difference in the two approaches:

1) Simple PE average weight by % of total portfolio value:

Say for stock "i", the price is p(i) and the earnings are e(i). The PE for stock "i", PE(i), is p(i)/e(i). According to the simple weighted averaging approach the weight for the PE of stock "i", p(i)/ total portfolio value which is the sum of the price for all stocks which I will represent as sum(p). So, the contribution of each stock to the average is:

Contribution to PE Average = PE(i) * (pi/sum(p))

or, expanding term PE(i) which = p(i)/e(i), we get:

Contribution to PE Average = (p(i)/e(i)) * pi / sum(p) = (p(i)^2 / e(i))/sum(p)

Overall average PE = (1/(sum(p)) X sum over all stocks of (p(i)^2 / e(i)).

This approach over weights price (the "price" term is "squared"). It can sometimes work out okay since the total portfolio value, sum(p), can also have an over weighted contribution from a stock for which the price (and PE) has increased dramatically, but often this measure of average PE is easily dominated by a few high PE stocks.

2) DTM's approach is straight forward.

Overall PE = sum of price / sum of earnings = sum(p) / sum(e),

where sum(e) is the sum of earning for all stocks.

3) To see where version 2 is related to individual stock PE values, consider the inverse of PE which is earnings yield. The earnings yield for an individual stock "i" is:

yield(i) = e(i) / p(i)

If we compute the average yield of a portfolio weighted by the price contribution, p(i)/sum(p), of each stock we get:

contribution to yield = (e(i)/p(i)) * p(i) / sum(p) = e(i)/sum(p) since the p(i) terms cancel out.

The average yield of the portfolio becomes:

Portfolio Yield = sum ( e(i) / sum(p) ) for all stocks or

Portfolio Yield = sum(e) / sum(p)

Since PE is the inverse of yield, the portfolio's PE is:

Portfolio PE = sum(p) / sum(e),

which is the same as DTM's method. For the simple example of 2 stocks of the same value with respective PE's 10 and 20. The cheaper stock has 2/3 of the portfolio's total earnings yield and hence contributes that much to the total portfolio PE (the inverse of the portfolio earnings yield).

Cheers
Paul
TMFShadowDragon
Paul
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement