UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CatcherintheRye Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1482  
Subject: Some of my Fav Books Date: 12/7/2004 9:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hi all,
I am a newbie to this Board and there are a lot of people on the Berkshire Hathaway Board chatting on recreational reading. Maybe there's no interest on your part in my list of worthy reads (so please just move on and forgive my imposition). If, however, there's kindred spirits out there I welcome your own recommendations.

Here goes an eclectic ten on Fiction:

"An Equal Music", Vikram Seth.

"White Teeth", Zadie Smith.

"Vernon God Little", DCB Pierre.

"Oryx and Crake", Magaret Atwood.

"Les Miserables", Victor Hugo.

"East of Eden", John Steinbeck

"Mol Flanders", Daniel Dafoe.

"Rebecca" Daphne Dumaurier.

"Haroun & the Sea of Stories", Salman Rushdie

"War and Peace", Leo Tolstoy.

On Non-Fiction:

"The Last Lion" William Manchester (Churchill Bio).

"A World Lit only by Fire", William Manchester.

"Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds", Charles Mackay.

"From Beirut to Jerusalem", Thomas Friedman.

"The Rape of Nanking", Iris Chang (God rest her soul).

Thanks for reading; thanks for your thoughts.

Kind regards,
Catcherintherye

Print the post Back To Top
Author: UsuallyReasonabl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1321 of 1482
Subject: Re: Some of my Fav Books Date: 12/8/2004 9:32 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Oh yeah, "The Last Lion" is really good . . . 3 volumes, I think I read the first two. The opening several paragraphs of Churchill's "My Early Life" is also a must-read -- hilarious stuff.

UsuallyReasonable

Author: MarkHiatt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1322 of 1482
Subject: Re: Some of my Fav Books Date: 12/8/2004 10:13 AM
>
> …"The Last Lion" is really good… 3 volumes, I think I read the first two.
>

I think I read somewhere that William Manchester was really sick, or died last spring. Pity, after his JFK book, "The Arms of Krupp" and "A World Lit Only By Fire", I was looking forward to his Churchill trilogy.

Author: UsuallyReasonabl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1323 of 1482
Subject: Re: Some of my Fav Books Date: 12/8/2004 1:16 PM
Recommendations: 0
Good grief, I said

The opening several paragraphs of Churchill's "My Early Life" is also a must-read -- hilarious stuff.

chapters, not paragraphs.

UsuallyReasonable

Author: CatcherintheRye Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1324 of 1482
Subject: Re: Some of my Fav Books Date: 12/10/2004 7:53 PM
Thanks very much for writing back!

I've got the Jenkins Bio of Churchill on my shelf, ready to read and will definitely look into "My Early Life". Thanks for the recommendation.

On "The Last Lion", I believe the three part series was never completed. It ends at 1940. I understand that Manchester became ill and took a break from this opus. During his illness he took to writing "A World Lit Only by Fire" as it was an easier go for him. He also wrote "The Arms of Krupp", published in 2003, which I have not read, but should.

William Manchester died in April this past year.

Churchill and Manchester are two remarkable men and authors.

Kind regards,
Catcher

Author: UsuallyReasonabl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1325 of 1482
Subject: Re: Some of my Fav Books Date: 12/12/2004 10:16 AM
The Arms of Krupp . . . hehe, this book may have been published in 2003, but not for the first time . . . it has haunted me for years. Many years ago, when I was in high school, a debate judge criticized one of my arguments, suggesting that it was refuted by Manchester's Arms of Krupp. Of course the judges are supposed to judge based on what the other team says, not on what books the judge has read, so this has always rankled. From what I can see Krupp was first published in 1968.

I didn't know that volume 3 of The Last Lion never came out -- huh. That's a shame, and of course a shame about Manchester's death.

I have read a little, but not much, of Churchill's six volume The Second World War and can recommend that, if one really wants to get into the subject that deeply. For me, My Early Life became something of a plow-through after the first several chapters, but the early stuff regarding his tenure at Harrow is indispensible, and hilarious.

And while I'm back here, I have thought of a few more must-reads since I last opined:

fiction:
Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
J.P. Donleavy, The Ginger Man

nonfiction:
Douglas Hofstadter, Godel Escher Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

Hmmm I thought I had more than that. Oh well, if any more come to me, I'll be back.

UsuallyReasonable

Author: dbadbt One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1326 of 1482
Subject: Re: Some of my Fav Books Date: 12/12/2004 11:31 AM
Nothing profound or life altering here, but in the past few years I've really enjoyed reading or re-reading these:

"Moneyball" Michael Lewis--A new way of looking at and evaluating major league baseball talent and processes.

"Barbarians at the Gate" John Helyar and Bryan Burroughs--Fly on the wall account of the RJR Nabisco LBO. Excellent insight into the machismo that drives Wall Street and the players.

"Lords of the Realm" John Helyar--The history of the Major League Baseball Players Union and how it became the most successful sports union ever. The profiles of the owners alone (Ted Turner, Charlie Finley and George Steinbrenner to name a few) make this a worthwhile read.

"A Walk in the Woods" Bill Bryson--An out of shape writer and his in-even-worse-shape friend decide to hike the full length of the Appalachian trail. Bill Bryson is genuinely funny and has great affection for the terrain he covers.

"Flight of Passage" Rinker Buck--True account of two teenage brothers who fly a single engine plane with no radio from New Jersey to Southern California in 1966, the youngest pilots to do so at the time. The relationship that's chronicled between the brothers and their father is the best part of this book.

DBT

Author: MarkHiatt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1327 of 1482
Subject: Re: Some of my Fav Books Date: 12/12/2004 6:10 PM
>
> From what I can see Krupp was first published in 1968.
>

Probably. That sounds about right. I first read it about 1972 or 1973, and again about 1998 (along with World Lit… and Death of a President). Manchester had a really neat way of writing, researching and relating his stories. I think it's a shame he couldn't have finished his trilogy.

Author: MarkHiatt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1335 of 1482
Subject: Re: Some of my Fav Books Date: 1/13/2005 4:10 PM
Not entirely off-topic: Albert Finney as one of the best Churchill's is on again tonight, on HBO2: The Gathering Storm is a really nice little movie. Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever seen a bad HBO Film movie, going back years and years and years, now.

http://www.HBO.com/apps/schedule/ScheduleServlet?ACTION_DETAIL=DETAIL&FOCUS_ID=590339

Still missing Manchester, though…

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement