UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jammerh Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5902  
Subject: Some of us move in smaller circles Date: 9/11/2012 4:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I sometimes wonder what I'd do if I were the last living human on earth, or stranded somewhere with only my guitar and maybe a digital keyboard...

Would I still love music as much? Would I still have aspirations of performing well? With these things I'd have some goal, some sense of direction, and maybe some reason to go on. Without them things might seem pretty bleak.

Some well-known writer once remarked that if he could play music he would have done nothing else in his life.

As Kristofferson said "You gotta do it because you love it."

Sometimes people ask questions on these boards because they don't have anyone else to ask. One of the great things about music is that it's something you can do in isolation - even if you don't share that love with others you know, or live in a place with ready access to other musicians.

Not all of us can afford to pay for expensive lessons. Not all of us live in large cosmopolitan centers that attract most musicians.

I once asked a keyboard instructor why there isn't more emphasis on classical music. She told me there's no money in it.

Of course, many, even most aspiring musicians want to perform professionally, but that fact shouldn't obscure the fact that some of us, at least, aspire to making music for the sheer enjoyment of the process.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5863 of 5902
Subject: Re: Some of us move in smaller circles Date: 9/11/2012 5:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I once asked a keyboard instructor why there isn't more emphasis on classical music. She told me there's no money in it.

and.... it's not as much fun as popular music.

Sure, it's satisfying to play in a classical orchestra or string quartet, and it's a great accomplishment, but those people have little exchange with the audience and sit at rapt attention to the conductor.

People in big jazz bands/orchestras swiiiiiiing!!! The guys in rock bands have fun with the audience.

I go to the occassional opera and classical concert. What a bunch of stiffs!

sano - blues, bluegrass and swing, fingerstyle and flatpick.

grandmother was a cellist in NBC orchestra
grandpa was London String quartet
stepfather was a major tenor (aida, faust, etc)
sister worked hard all her life to be a busy soprano
cousin is a great tenor but barely supports himself.
nephew thinks he'll be the next caruso (I got news fer him).

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5864 of 5902
Subject: Re: Some of us move in smaller circles Date: 9/12/2012 1:34 PM
Recommendations: 1
I do enjoy the process of learning and mastering the music, but in the back of my mind my ultimate goal is always performing for my friends and family. It's a rare gift that not everyone can give.

Author: jammerh Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5865 of 5902
Subject: Re: Some of us move in smaller circles Date: 9/14/2012 4:43 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hi Sano, thanks for your response. "...it's not as much fun."

Well, that's a value judgement. I'm sure there are some people who derive a lot of enjoyment (and yes, just plain "FUN" out of classical music.

I play mostly popular music myself, but derive a greater sense of accomplishment and a different kind of enjoyment out of the few classical pieces I know.

It's odd when you think about it. Each musical style amounts to little more than a bunch of notes and the spaces between them, but when you think of classical music vs pop it's like two different worlds.

I think your world is a rich one if you know, or are related to that many people involved in music.

Author: jammerh Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5866 of 5902
Subject: Re: Some of us move in smaller circles Date: 9/14/2012 5:00 PM
That's interesting. My guess is most of us start out at least with the goal of performing for others, but I believe music can be an end in itself - something we can conceivably enjoy - even if we never perform for anyone else.

The way people may read poetry and enjoy the imagery without reciting it for someone else to hear.

Even the challenge of learning music alone can be worthwile. And there's something that strikes me as maybe purer about accomplishing something without an eye to gaining the admiration of others.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5867 of 5902
Subject: Re: Some of us move in smaller circles Date: 9/14/2012 10:54 PM
but when you think of classical music vs pop it's like two different worlds.

Yup, but at the end of a philharmonic concert I'm ready to go to sleep. Yawn.

After a Janes Addiciton // Flaming lips concert we're ready to eat, drink, relive the high moments, revel in the afterglow of the show..... still.... and I'm at the beginning of being old!

kwim?

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5868 of 5902
Subject: Re: Some of us move in smaller circles Date: 9/14/2012 11:01 PM
Even the challenge of learning music alone can be worthwile. And there's something that strikes me as maybe purer about accomplishing something without an eye to gaining the admiration of others.

Oh hell yes. Sometimes you do something while practicing, hit a groove, play a riff really clean and, damn, really hope you can pull it off jamming with your friends that week.

If you can, great. If not, 1st commandment... keep going and keep the beat. There's always next week!

It helps if you can laugh off your goofs and it's still fun.

Author: jammerh Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5869 of 5902
Subject: Re: Some of us move in smaller circles Date: 11/6/2012 3:10 PM
Hi guys, sorry for the tardy response, but I don't get in that often to check the boards.

"It's not as much fun..."

Well, what's fun and what isn't is a subjective evaluation - something that varies from person to person and can depend largely on our background, and experiences growing up.

If I like any particular type of music, that doesn't mean you, or anyone else should.

Even with popular music a lot can depend on when you experienced it and how closely you identified with some of the imagery in the lyrics, style and presentation, what kinds of music your friends liked, and your own perception of what artists were "cool", and what wasn't.

I guess I was wondering if anyone else shared my thinking that music can be a very private and personal experience - without an audience. I mean if you love it, it seems to me that you might still have some relationship with it even if you were the only remaining human being on earth.

If nothing else, it might form a connection with your memories and help provide some semblance of sanity.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement