Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 16  
Subject: some opinions Date: 12/15/1997 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
A few voices from our AOL folder...

Subject: Re: Conference Call.
Date: Thu, Dec 11, 1997 20:40 EST
Message-id: <19971212014000.UAA04183@ladder01.news.aol.com>

that was spine-tech,I think owned by who else USS ,if I am right

================

Date: Thu, Dec 11, 1997 18:03 EST
Message-id: <19971211230300.SAA14423@ladder02.news.aol.com>

Believe strength today was due to FDA approval for breast biopsy process and another story reported on CNBC regarding another company, ie, Kernan made comments on another company whose stock was up big and he said USS was a player in the same field. Sorry, but I don't have further details at this time - just tuned in and caught tail end of the report. Should be in WSJ tomorrow.

===========

Date: Thu, Dec 11, 1997 14:45 EST
Message-id: <19971211194500.OAA26299@ladder01.news.aol.com>

Isn't it amazing? A day after USS announcement on Valleylab and subsequent downgrade that USS is trading up on an awful day! Hey folks, you never know. I'm sure there is a reason behind this slight spike but dam'n if I figure it out.

If there is some insightful explanation, I & others would love to hear it.
CREINKE193
=============

Subject: Re: Conference Call. 9:30EST Tuesday
Date: Wed, Dec 10, 1997 09:08 EST
Message-id: <19971210140801.JAA28216@ladder01.news.aol.com>

Montgomery Securities agrees with your concern over the price USS paid. They don't feel that Valleylab will have any material impact on the bottom line as their sales really are lackluster. Further, Montgomery stated that the ONLY thing that will turn USS around is sales-sales-sales. Gotta reverse the loss of market share lost to J&J.

As I was posting, another house(I think Goldman Sachs) just lowered USS rating from market outperform to market perform. I'm mildly positive that USS can get it's act in order but equally concerned that it will take quite a while.
CREINKE193

===========

Date: Wed, Dec 10, 1997 00:07 EST
Message-id: <19971210050701.AAA01989@ladder01.news.aol.com>

$425 million seems a bit steep.
===========
Date: Tue, Dec 9, 1997 10:40 EST
Message-id: <19971209154000.KAA04667@ladder02.news.aol.com>

Yes, USS is buying Pfizer's Valleylab for $425m. Their annual sales look to be around $200m and will be accretive to USS earnings once the deal is completed. After the news, Deutsch Morgan Grenfell started coverage with a "hold" on USS. Would like to have seen a "long term buy" but with half of sales coming from overseas, I can see the caution.

Anyone have an opinion as to whether this looks to be a good fit going forward?
CREINKE193
==========

Date: Tue, Dec 9, 1997 01:49 EST
Message-id: <19971209064900.BAA11677@ladder01.news.aol.com>

Reuters News at 4:15pm today (Mon) A conference call is scheduled for 9:30 Tuesday morning. Pfizer has been trying to sell their Valleylab subsidiary. (Electrosurgical Generators and disposable surgical equipment, also some laparoscopic stuff) Is USS going to buy?

=============

Subject: 'new products'
Date: Sat, Dec 6, 1997 23:35 EST
Message-id: <19971207043500.XAA29864@ladder02.news.aol.com>

Recently sold my position in USS. Needed to offset some gains, had better uses for the money, have no other losers, and more importantly, don't see this stock going anywhere anytime soon. Thought I'd share some of the insight that leads me to this conclusion:

Re: the following:
NORWALK, Conn., Nov. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- United States Surgical Corporation (NYSE: USS) announced today that the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has cleared its S*D*sorb(TM) Meniscal Stapler for marketing. The device is available worldwide from Surgical Dynamics Inc. (SDI), a USS subsidiary. ...

This is so typical of today's USS. The article would lead you to believe that this is an innovative alternative to conventional suture technique. In fact, there is already a well known alternative to suture, popularly referred to as "the Arrow". The arrow is placed in the 'edge' of the meniscus and works like a 'wall anchor with barbs'. It is quite popular with those who are not comfortable what is still considered to be the "gold standard", that is,
suture. The only possible advantage of the USS stapler is speed, since the Arrows are placed one at a time. In short, this product is an attempt to find a niche within a niche.

Re: the following:
NORWALK, Conn., Nov. 24 /PRNewswire/ -- United States Surgical Corporation (NYSE: USS) announced today that a new study shows the company's VCS* vascular clipping device makes joining vessels easier and allows them to remain open longer than those that are hand sewn. ...

This is not a big deal. Wolff Kirsch started developing this idea ~15 years ago. J&J lost interest several years ago, and then USS picked up the crumbs. The idea is cute, and it works, but there is tremendous resistance to these sorts of products that are only seen to be 'more convenient' than conventional techniques. Conventional suture techniques are not only preferred by and large, they are more versatile, and there are a number of applications in
which clips are not applicable, such as partial transverse lacerations, any longitudinal laceration and end-to-side anastomoses. In short, they are only used in straightforward end-to-end anastomoses, and then, only if the surgeon is not predisposed to suture. It is not likely that other surgeons will relate to the poor (78%) patency rate reported in the study using conventional suture techniques.

In my opinion, products like these will not significantly impact this co.'s earnings. The only other news concerns USS buying other co.'s products, and of course, the endless array of litigations, most of which can be seen to be the result of USS trying to weasel in on someone else's niche. My intention is not to bum people out. I've been waiting a long time for something good to say, and I believe that it will be months before this stock budges. I'm
honestly just trying to be helpful. E-mail me if you wish, especially if there's some good news. I still plan to get my money back someday.

good luck,
sten/o

=============
Subject: Re: Block trades
Date: Tue, Dec 2, 1997 07:34 EST
Message-id: <19971202123401.HAA14624@ladder01.news.aol.com>

Could someone tell me what Smith Barney is doing regarding USS? If you check block trades it would appear that they are buying and selling huge chunks of it, for no apparent reason. Anybody have any clues?

===========
Subject: Re: Then & Now
Date: Wed, Nov 19, 1997 19:43 EST
Message-id: <19971120004301.TAA23638@ladder01.news.aol.com>

Hello there tough one. I hope you're right, but again USS is suing for patent infringement. A lot of people are getting tired of the constant litigation involving this company. On the other hand, USS just won FDA approval to market a meniscal suture. Just once, I would like to hear all good news. I've been in and out over the past couple of years with money made but it seems this time it's a hard road.

CREINKE193
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement