Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Enilkrennad Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75  
Subject: Re: Handling pre-marriage debt Date: 2/26/2001 4:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Some pretty serious concerns. Sounds like the crux of the situation is that he might not be motivated to pay off his high-interest debt, and in fact might end up increasing it. This is a serious sitution. I'm not qualified to be a financial counselor by any means, so take my advice for what its worth. If the two of you don't agree on how money will be spent real soon, it will likely end up driving a wedge between you. You both need to agree how often and how much you will spend on expensive items. If he won't agree to limit his spending, you're in big trouble. If you can reason with him and prevail upon him to spend wisely and NOT increase his CC debt, then by all means, it makes sense for you both to combine efforts and pay off the high interest debt first. Sounds like with your combined incomes you could potentially pay it off pretty quick. But only with cooperation. If it ends up being YOU paying off his ever-increasing debt, then i have no idea what you'd need to do. He should love you enough to respect your opinion on the matter and agree to work with you.

My wife had almost no debt before we married. I had a small amount of credit card debt and a relatively small school loan (around 10K). THEN we went on a honeymoon we couldn't afford and bumped the CC debt up a large amount and THEN we bought me a "new" car ('99 Altima to replace an '88 Chevy Nova that was about to die). And we haven't been exactly frugal in the past few months.

But we're improving and i know we'll slowly but surely work out of it. The key is that we are in full agreement and are doing it together.

Best wishes
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Deflationary Cycle Explained
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement