No. of Recommendations: 1
Some quantum consciousness proponents suggest that any animal that dreams is conscious. I am not sure why they think this, but I kind of like the idea.

I like the idea myself. Fish for example, seem to always be in a subconscious state because as far as I know, many fish do not sleep the way most animals do. Their awareness is only dulled slightly in the dark, from what I can tell, and therefore, I do not believe that (most) fish sleep, or posses consciousness, and this rules out the possibility of a fish dreaming I think.

I'm extremely curious if Helen Keller was able to dream before she learned language. She said: "When I learned the meaning of 'I' and 'me' and found that I was something, I began to think. Then consciousness first existed for me". This puzzles me in several ways, almost paradoxically. How could she learn language if consciousness did not exist in her world? But then, how could consciousness exist for her without langauge?

I think that she possessed a certain capacity of consciousness and language (within the mind) already, but it was expanded tremendously when she learned a communicative language.

There's basically four levels of consciousness from what I can see:

1) Consciousness within one sense
2) Consciousness where all the sensory systems are integrated.
3) Consciousness where all the sensory systems are integrated with emotions.
4) Consciousness where sensory systems and emotions are integrated and thoughts are in symbolic language.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement