Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zoningfool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55778  
Subject: Some serious crazy out there--billing guests Date: 12/18/2012 2:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
A few weeks ago, Slate columnist Emily Yoffe received a question (it's the second one on the page) stating that the reader had been invited over to her brother and sister-in-law's house for Thanksgiving dinner and she, along with the rest of the family, had brought side dishes, wine, desserts and other items to help fill out the meal. But when the day came to a close, the hostess asked for a cheque to cover the costs of hosting the dinner -- a whopping $100 per couple! I thought for certain this sister-in-law was one of a kind, but a similar question appeared in this week's Moneyville -- although in this question, the hostess is asking for a mere $30 a person....

http://www.redflagdeals.com/blog/2012/12/17/pass-the-potatoe...

Q. Sister-in-Law's Hospitality: My brother and sister-in-law invited our family and four other families over for Thanksgiving this weekend. We all brought side dishes, wine, desserts, and drinks so that they only needed to cook the turkey. When the meal was done, my sister-in-law came up to me and asked me to make sure to leave a check before we left. I asked her what the check was for and she said it was for hosting the dinner. She said $100 per couple should cover it. I was floored. The turkey only cost about $30 and everyone else bought at least as much in side dishes and wine. She told me there are a lot of costs that guests just don't see. In order to avoid a scene, I wrote her a check. (I know at least one other family reluctantly paid her as well.) I asked my brother what that was about and he didn't know anything about it. $500 to cook a turkey and host a dinner seems a bit steep to me—what should we do?...

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2012/11/dea...

Dear Jeanne & Leonard:

Every Christmas my sister-in-law “Lisa” insists on hosting Christmas dinner, though my sisters and I always offer to take a turn (and we mean it). And get this: Every year Lisa charges a fee. In previous years it was $25 a person. This year she’s raised it to $30. Because no one wants to make a fuss, my sisters and I pay her, even though we think her charging us is rude. What should we do? No one else in our family would dream of billing their dinner guests, and it’s not like Lisa and my brother are poor—they’re loaded. - Unhappy ...

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/1301653--sister-in-law-char...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement