UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: ferjen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75335  
Subject: Re: Backdoor Roth IRA - Anything need to know? Date: 2/1/2013 10:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Someone commented on keeping some traditional IRA money as well as the Roth. An excellent idea. But they forgot that you are also maxing out a 401k. And that works pretty much the same as an IRA for that purpose. So I'd stick with your plan of adding to the Roth.

On that front, the only other thing I'd add in is some after-tax savings. That give you three buckets to choose from in retirement: pre-tax IRA/401k money, non-taxable Roth, and ordinary savings/investments. And that should give you quite a bit of flexibility in retirement to control your taxes.

This is timely. I did a backdoor Roth last year and will likely do it again this year after I get over the paranoia that I might have missed something with last year's conversion. But, you bring up something I've been thinking about lately, which is if someone wants to retire before 59 1/2, when the Roth becomes fully distributable, one would have to bridge the gap between the age of retirement and age 59 1/2. So, a regular brokerage account will likely be one of the best vehicles to bridge the gap.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement