Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Someone told me if I do a transfer of funds or stock from one IRA to another in New Jersey that I must pay income tax on the transaction. This seems nuts, but you never know with politicians and bureaucrats. I suppose she meant

There is nothing different in the NJ treatment of IRA transfers/rollovers from that at the federal level. The only difference between NJ and federal treatment of IRAs is that NJ doesn't allow you to deduct IRA contributions under any circumstances. This means that all IRAs have basis under NJ law and distributions are always partially tax-free. Of course, most NJ IRA participants fail to track their IRA contributions for NJ purposes and end up paying more tax than they have to since they can't establish their NJ IRA basis.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.