Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Someone told me that there is no deadline for filing a tax return if you paid what you owed on time (estimated tax payments).
Is this true?

Sort of. Since the federal late filing penalty is based on the amount of unpaid tax at the filing deadline, if you've overpaid your taxes through estimates or withholding, you don't have to file by 4/15 (4/18 this year). It's always possible that certain elections might be disallowed if you don't have a valid extension (I can't think of any offhand) and your state may have different rules (NJ charges $100/month for a late return in addition to any underpayment penalty).

You must file your return within three years of the original due date (including any extensions granted) if you want to receive a refund for overpaid taxes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.