Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: criser Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121565  
Subject: Re: S Corp vs. LLC? Date: 12/14/1999 12:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Someone wrote:

"If liability is not a concern, a partnership is simple. There's no need for articles of incorporation to be filed with the state, no need for bylaws, operating agreements, etc., so you can get going with a lot less paperwork. You ought to talk to a lawyer, though --- focus on the legal issues, not the taxes, because the S-corp, LLC and partnership are substantially the same
taxwise."

For liability reasons, I would never recommend that a business be conducted as a partnership, unless someone simply didn't have the relatively small amount of money it takes to form an LLC (or corporation, although I rarely recommend them anymore). If you conduct business as a partnership, and your partner skips town or otherwise makes it impossible for the business's creditors to get their bills paid, you can be stuck with all of the partnership liabilities, which could include not only the utility bills, suppliers bills, etc., but also a judgment against the partnership for sexual harassment of an employee or an auto wreck involving company business, etc.. Sure, once you've couged up all of the cash, you have a right to get back some of it from the deadbeat partner, but good luck. On the other hand, members of an LLC don't have personal liability for LLC debts. Furthermore, from a tax point of view, an LLC can choose to be taxed as a partnership (or as a Schedule C sole proprietorship if there's only one owner) or a corporation, and if it chooses to be taxed as a corporation it can also choose to be taxed as an S corporation.

While both are passthrough entities, there are very significant differences in the taxation of partnerships (which is how most LLCs choose to be taxed) and S corps. Partners in a partnership (i.e., any time I say 'partnership,' I mean an LLC taxed as a partnership) can include non-guaranteed entity debt in the basis of their partnership interests, shareholders of an S corp cannot. A partnership can have multiple classes of interests, an S corp cannot - this would be crucial if a business ever wanted any outside investment. A partnership can make special allocations of income, gain, loss, deductions, credits, etc. among the partners as needed, an S corp cannot - everything must be pro rata. A partnership can step up its inside basis on the sale of a partnership interest or on the death of a partner, an S corp cannot. Partnership property can generally be flipped in and out of the partnership to and from the partners with no adverse tax consequences. S corp property cannot. And the list goes on...

The one great advantage S corps still have (for businesses with no passive investors, that is) is the ability to control the amount of income that is subject to social security tax (as an aside, LLCs taxed as partnerships with one or more passive investors can control self-employment income even better than S corps, but that's beyond the scope of this thread for now). However, if there's going to be little or no income in the beginning of a startup, social security tax is probably not much of a concern. Besides, it's easier taxwise to go from being taxed as a partnership to being taxed as an S corp than vice versa. So, you can always start out being taxed as a partnership, then "convert" to being taxed as an S corp, if that seems like it makes sense.

I agree that first, you should focus on the legal issues as to what kind of entity to form. I think that in 99% of the cases for small startups, the LLC will be the way to go. Once that's decided, focus on the tax issues, because the LLC can be taxed in any way it chooses. It's my opinion that the majority of startups will find that partnership taxation will work very nicely for them.

criser
Chris Riser
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement