Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121563  
Subject: Something Funny Going On Date: 9/26/2012 3:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
My wife and I are scheduled to move into a continuing care facility in about 6 wks. For some weeks, we have been trying to get a $250,000 loan from BB&T on our house appraised at $310,000 by their appraiser. We have provided BB&T with proof of assets of $900,000, but actually, FWIW, we have about a couple hundred thousand more, depending on the whims of the stock markets. Supplying the information they need was like Chinese water torture as many times we supplied the one last bit of information only to be asked for more in a few days). At first we were quoted a loan at 3% on a 7 yr loan, but then, for some reason, they said we would have to pay something like some points because it didn't look as if our monthly income covered the payment enough. I said OK. Today I had a call saying that our loan was REJECTED because we didn't have enough monthly income! My wife gets Social Security and I get 60% of a Federal annuity. The fact that we withdraw some money from our assets when we need to seem not to matter to them.

Now our agent is pursuing a longer term loan or a $250,000 line of credit at prime plus 0.5% or 3.7% (Currently we own the home free and clear. We also own a summer home free and clear and two autos free and clear.). All this seems like bate and switch to me. Our agent says it would be the same no matter what bank we went with.

In the past, I have considered paying cash for the continuing care facility (which is fully refundable to our heirs). I decided against it because we would have to take a lot of money from our IRAs and 401k's and pay a lot of tax on it. But it wouldn't surprise me if we were rejected on the line of credit or a longer loan too, the way things have gone.

They say our credit ratings are not a problem. Equifax rates me at 86%, Experian at 94%, and TransUnion at 77%. Among the things that lower my score, that sounds good to me, is "too many inquiries in the last 12 months," "Time since most recent account opening is too short," and "Length of time accounts have been established." These are something beyond my control. One last one "Too many accounts with balances" is within my control, but I'm unsure what they are talking about as I pay off my credit card every month and I pay ahead to our country club. My wife's ratings are somewhat lower at 76%, 68%, 68%. This is because my wife had a stroke and I have had trouble adjusting to paying her accounts as well as mine so some have been paid late, but I am told her ratings are not the problem.

Does all this sound like on the up and up to you pros?

brucedoe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement