UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: yaszmin Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308229  
Subject: Sometimes you make a mistake, but it's OK Date: 3/8/2008 10:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Hi all,

You might remember when I first posted I was paying a $15 month fee because I was failing to maintain a $100 balance in my checking account. Well, I have been doing really well at that until today. I was tracking my balance and being careful not to let it fall below $100. I knew that there were checks, etc. coming in, and that I needed to make a deposit from my savings to cover and maintain the $100. I procrastinated too long. I wanted to make the deposit yesterday, but when I checked my account and saw the main item I was concerned about wasn't in yet, I decided to wait until today to make the deposit (don't ask me why; convoluted thinking).

Well, it turns out the item DID post yesterday. I feel like I could kick myself, because I haven't paid that fee in FOREVER (I think pretty much since I started posted here). So, I called the bank to understand what times things clear/get reconciled and how long I have to make deposits, etc. So at least now I have enough information to make intelligent decisions about when/where I have to make deposits. I know I could save a lot of trouble by going to an online bank, and I do have an online checking account, but sometimes you need to hand someone a paper check this works out for me. There are other benefits to my brick and mortar bank, but I will spare you the details.

I'm upset about this, but I have given myself permission to make a mistake, learn from it, and move on. I tend to obsess over little things like this, so I am going to have to remind myself and least all morning (conservatively) that I am not perfect and that Rome wasn't built in a day, but hopefully I will get over it.

What's the point of all this: well, it's just that. I AM human, and I WILL make mistakes, but this $15 is not going to alter the course of the universe and it doesn't make my whole debt elimination plan null and void. It's a small setback, but one that can be remedied and one that I can use to motivate me in the future. Maybe it's the inspiration to take another look at how I am managing my checking/savings and see what needs to change to avoid this in the future.

So, what am I going to do now? Take a few deep breaths, remind myself it's OK to make a mistake, not allow myself to harbor anger against myself (no point being angry with the bank, these are the terms I agreed to), and keep on going. That's easier said than done, but I'm going to keep on trying.

Thanks for letting me vent. I needed (need) to let it out.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement