Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Charlie48K Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123488  
Subject: Re: Estimated Taxes Date: 8/10/2001 10:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
sooooo..... to finally get to my question...... Should I just pony up the amount I expect to owe for 2001 since I blew (and so did the IRS) the Safe Harbor timeliness rules on estimated tax payments?

See the IRS instructions for estimated tax payments. Do you get a salary subject to withholding? If you'd said the problem a possible solution would have come sooner. If you have employees and pay yourself a salary and withhold and file 941s for your salary like a lot of small businesses do, then you can still get out without a penalty. Withholdings on salary are considered to be spread equally through the year. In other words, you can start withholding almost all your salary and get the tax witholding up to what you owe. If your spouse works another job and you file jointly, you can increase her withholding. At the end of the year, the withholdings would be considered to have been spread equally through the year.

If you can't do that, get the third quarter up to the right amount and you'll only owe for two quarters. That's due by Sept 15, I think.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.