UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (130) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: lmichelle One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Re: Can I afford this house? Date: 7/4/2006 3:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 31
SOOOOOO

I sat DH down and told him the cold hard facts. Although he would not really look at the monthly bills in front of him. He kept saying "I know how big our monthly payments are."

I knew I had to have a plan before talking to him because I knew he'd be overwhelmed. So I told him I want to make three suggestions to help us keep the house.

1. Downsize my minivan to a cheaper used car (we have two carseats and one booster but I think I can make it work)
2. Downsize what we're doing to fix the screen. Make the screened porch smaller and see if it significantly lowers what it would cost to fix.
3. I work weekends.

DH was adamant against downsizing my car since when we take trips to visit family (a three hour drive) we're already tight in our van when we include luggage and dog. But he is willing to find out if it's worth downsizing his truck. His loan is more upside down than mine so I'm not sure. But he only travels to and from work... realistically he can have a cheap compact used car for that. Another blow to his ego but oh well.

DH was willing to find out estimates on smaller screen.

DH is willing for me to work weekends. But interestingly enough, I found out he does not like me working during the week because it interferes with his OT. Apparently (and it didn't really occur to me before) the two days a week he's responsible for getting the kids, makes him get off work early which decreases his OT for the week. Don't know why I didn't see it but now I do. He really wants me to quit the week job and quit the daycare and is okay with me working one day on the weekends.

SO in reality I'd be making less (only about $850/month) but none of it would have to go to daycare cost. BTW, I forgot to factor in oldest DD's summer camp cost in the daycare cost, which is ANOTHER $144/month) so my actual daycare cost is $644/month, I orginally said $500.

I can see why you all are so set in my writing things down. It's very easy to round up or down and not get the actual numbers correct.

He's also going to quit his gym membership at $30/month (I guess that means I have to quit mine at $70? Darn.) And quit pick up hockey which is about $15-30/week.

I also told him someone's suggestion that he can't keep running to the store for Gatorade, that I'll buy it with the weekly groceries and once it's gone it's gone till next week. Any other money saving ideas? Is there a board just for that? How about a SAHM board? Cause if there is I still haven't found it... in fact, I have a hard time finding this board each time I come back.

Needless to say he's very cranky right now. He's outside mowing the lawn, maybe he'll come in with some more ideas. But let me tell you, he did NOT want to have this conversation. I told him TOO BAD, I've been losing sleep over this for seven months and it's never a good time for him, so I'm done taking this all on myself.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Happy 4th!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (130) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement