Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: bigpix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193125  
Subject: Sooooooo...... Date: 1/3/2007 10:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 42
first off, my hat is tipped to a particular Boomer from NYC who over time taught me to keep my mouth shut about certain things pertaining to my life while online.

Thanks!

This has been a deal in the making for over two and half years.

A friend of mine first spoke of a coworker friend of his and how they wanted to start a video division where they were working.

We had a mutual friend in the business but based out West who was more than interested.

Feet were dragged along and over time I didn't feel this to be a good fit with this guy.

Too many irons in fires virtually around the world.

I needed something better than that.

I was asked who else to reach out to.

I suggested someone that I had many times thought of calling to set something up for with just myself.

We did, and he jumped at the chance.

His company is based out of DC/DE but is a known in the business as a major player in the touring video world.

A few months more and we were ready to make it happen.

My deal was struck at Thanksgiving and I began to live a double life.

My intentions were to be in my new seat first thing this year.

But, I needed to speak with my key colleagues at my prior place before I did so. I needed to reassure them that when possible, they would be welcome in time to be part of this new team.

I don't burn bridges and couldn't just walk away from them without some face time.

Then the plan was moved to yesterday afternoon.

I was waiting on my people to get back from lunch and I would pull the trigger.

Then Boss Lite emails me that he is leaving for the day and he did so within minutes.

Curses!!!! I didn't want to have to get the game face on one more time but knew that was what was needed.

I pretty much cleared my office after everyone left for the day yesterday and dropped off the Jeep last night.

I got to work early this morning and let everyone at least swallow their breakfast and then gathered the four of us together.

Shock and awe would describe that moment.

I explained that someone threw me a lifeline and I grabbed it and climbed out of the drifting raft.

I told them that once ashore, I would throw one to them too.

I told them I was resigning within minutes and would be leaving shortly forever.

No contract, an "at will" employee. I could leave at any time. No time like the present.

Boss Lite shows up, takes a couple of calls.

I grabbed the last items from the Jeep and walked them around the building to the new Jeep.

Boss Lite is in some office someplace so I pull down the last of my pix on the wall and the inflatable mounted moosehead.

I see Boss Lite do a double take when he sees the office so I grab my two line letter and hand it to him.

He looks at me like a deer in the headlights.

I suggested that he may want to READ it.

He does so and as expected just says, "well, alright."

Off I go to HR and explain what I need from him since he is clueless.

I am told I will lose my vacation days from last year but I am supposed to be entitled to ALL of my vacation days for 2007.

I sure that will be a fight.

I gather the rest of the staff in the shop around me and announce what just went down. I repeat myself for those who thought they heard something but no sure just what.

Then I explain that this is no joke.

I will now be working for and with their former biggest client.

I kept hearing Ross Perot talking about a sucking sound.

I gather up my bags and such while my assistant is shooting video of what is going down.

Beforehand Boss Lite asks if there is anything I want to talk about or say. I say that would be pointless so, no.

I am shocked that while I am putting on my jacket, he comes into my office, offers his hand and thanks me for my hard work and wishes me luck.

Thanks.

Off I went to my new digs where the entire staff of nearly fifty are gathered for my introduction and the announcement that they are now in the video staging business.

I am the General Manager of said business. A partner too.

Folks, let me tell you how good I felt all day and do right now.

Being with dozens of folks who have a passion for what they is inspiring and I am challenged by them all.

I am up to the task.

Time to put up or shut up.

An email blast went out by the end of the day to a thousand plus contacts from all departments.

It all good.

Except for my commute which just doubled.

But now I work a mere ten minutes from DW.

We're going to do lunch one day.

bigpix

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement