Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry about that, but *non-qualified* stock options are earned income because they were given instead of wages.

If *non-qualified* stock options are treated as earned income, thus subject to FICA etc, how's the FICA tax paid?

I know that my employer is suppose to withhold the approximate tax, but I haven't heard of any which are--mine already said they won't withhold tax. I know I can adjust my W-4 to make up the federal tax, but I don't know of any form that will adjust for FICA & Medicare. Also, the 1040 doesn't have any mean of designating which payment are for FICA and which are for federal tax. So how do I pay the FICA on these "earned" income through exercising *non-qualified* stock options?

How about the employee stock purchase plan, is the spread, which is considered ordinary income, subject to FICA? (My personal opinion is that it is not subject to FICA becaues ESPP is voluntary, but then again, if the IRS care about my opinion, then they scare the heck out of it later. . .)

I had look at most of IRS publications and were unable to find any which address this. Do you know which publication address FICA & Medicare tax?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.