UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: altobarbara Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883676  
Subject: Re: What is my time worth? Date: 6/24/2005 1:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Sorry bout that last post--something happened with my pc and it posted before I was finished. If there were a way to delete it, I would.

To start again:

More $-saving food ideas:

1. Roast a turkey, especially if you can get it on sale.
Slice and freeze the breast meat for sandwiches (and compare to $8/lb and up for coldcuts)

Then use the rest of the meat for salads and/or stew-ish things (pot pies--my kids always liked curried turkey, or turkey bits with broccoli and some of the stock over pasta)

Then make stock out of the rest of the carcass. You'll get even more meat off the bones when you do this and if you add lotsa veggies and a good bread, you'll have a rich soup for dinner and hopefully some stock left for future meals.

Oh, and fill an ice-cube tray with the stock then store in a ziplock bag to use instead of buillion cubes. Much healthier and cheaper.

2. Potatoes are a great bargain and higher in protein than folks think. They can actually be a main course and garnished with meat for the carnivores or omnivores.

You could bake several while you're roasting that turkey and if you don't eat them then, make potato salad (if they're not overcooked) or put into that soup you make from the stock.

3. Fresh fruits and veggies are filling and nutritious, especially if they're in season, so increase consumption of these and keep an eye on the seasons and sales. Local farmers markets just before closing can abound with bargains--they really don't want to take that stuff back to the farm.

4. Of course the turkey thing works for other large cuts of meat, especially if you are buying cold cuts separately for sandwiches.

5. Eggs are cheap. Have breakfast for dinner (my kids used to get a kick out of this), especially if you use some of those potatoes, too.

6. Be aware of all the food stores you pass in the course of your week and keep an eye on their sales. This way you're not having to make special food-shopping trips as frequently and you're also able to take advantage of their loss-leaders without making a special trip.

7. In general, the less processed a food is, the cheaper it is. Use some of your time to do more of the preparation (which doesn't necessarily mean *cook*--if you have watermelon cut up and convenient, you can snack on that instead of a granola bar or whatever you and your child normally reach for).

8. Then barter some of those goodies for the neighbor who cuts your lawn!

One other note: I have always tried to maximize my time by doing what I am good at and enjoy, and then paying others to do things that sap my energy and time. I.e. I am just a horrible housekeeper--figuring out how to actually go through and clean my house top to bottom carefully and finding the time and energy to actually get through it can drive me crazy. I hired someone to come in and do it every 2 weeks. She seems to enjoy bringing order to chaos and is very good at it and finishes in 4 hours. I get paid to sing in a church choir (which I love) and that pays for my cleaner and voice lessons (so I can get more singing jobs than just this one). I figure it's a really good trade for me.

And I wonder if there is some sort of work you can do from home? I know knitters and crocheters get paid by the piece for some companies. There are word processing jobs you can do at home, that sort of thing. If you really do want a 2nd job, there should be some way you can work that out.

Good luck!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement