No. of Recommendations: 9
Sorry for the cynical tone, but I hate these ra ra stories that include could-have-been's; especially when they involve survivalship.

I see a couple problems with this post, forgive me if my understanding is wrong, but I dont know how to research this.

There are scads of water companies in the USA which are over 100 years old. None of them went out of existence during the Great Depression.

First of all their may be scads of water companies over 100 years old that did not go out of existence, but no company that is over 100 years old went out of existence from any industry; but that is by definition. If they went out of business they would not have survived 100 years to be around.

How many water companies listed 100 years ago, are still in existence?

Had Ms. McCarty waited to start her investing as late as 1945, she still could have amassed more than a million dollars by just investing $250.00 a year

My understanding of the revolution in investing of the last 20 years is that common people can now invest, it no longer take $10,000 dollars to open up an account. Ms McCarty would not have been able to find a broker that would take her $250 per year. Heck, even Scottrade.com requires $500 to open an account.

I also find it interesting that your example is of a company that started less than 100 years ago, would none of the scads of companies from 100 years ago made her a millionaire?

Mark
Print the post  

Announcements

BMW METHOD EVENTS

The 2009 BMW Method Conference has been cancelled, due to minimum attendance numbers not being met. We hope to continue the annual BMW Method Conference tradition next fall.

Learn about the first four conferences on the BMW Method Website.

The BMW Method FAQ

BMW Method Website
Annual Conference Videos and Other Resources & Services
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement