No. of Recommendations: 2
Sorry for your loss.

From what I understand I will have to set up a totally separate inherited IRA account. I also understand it is important that this be a Trustee to Trustee transfer especially for the Traditonal IRA.
I don't currently have a ROTH IRA so I guess I will also be looking at setting one up with again a Trustee to Trustee transfer.

Please be aware - since you are a non-spousal beneficiary, both types of IRAs (Roth and Traditional) must be set up as separate inherited IRAs, and cannot be set up as your own IRA. It's clear that you understand that about the traditional IRA, but your commentary about not already having a Roth IRA indicated that you might not understand it about the Roth.

Additionally, you must either start taking RMDs from the both types of IRAs, or totally empty them within 5 years. Since Roth IRAs typically don't have RMDs, many people are unaware of this requirement.

Sorry, I don't have any experience with Alliant, so no help on the actual transfer.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.