UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60229  
Subject: Re: VT Poised to Allow Lethal Meds for Terminal Date: 5/19/2013 9:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Sorry. I got tired of typing on my phone, which is the only device that gets a signal where we are now (phone is 4g, much better than 3G, plus it pulls in an extra bar or 2 of signal.

There really are no known steps you go through. PPA has been little studied, mostly by a single doctor at Northwestern U who's currently doing a 10-year longitudinal study to determine things like the answer to your question. They are in year 6 now. My husband might participate, but that involves a couple of trips to Chicago, which we can't do right now.

All we can expect is gradual loss of language, mostly output at first, but input problems have started too. There's an $8,000 machine they can help with output. Something to consider down the road. His particular type of PPA includes Parkinson's in the late stages. The brain atrophy is in the frontal and temporal lobes only, which is why only particular functions are affected, unlike ALZ which I think affects the whole brain. One thing known a out PPA is that it strikes about age 60 or a little earlier. Again unlike ALZ, which can strike at any age from the 40s to 90s. PPA is thought to be genetic. Nothing DH did or didn't do caused this terrible fate.

On a more cheerful note, DD will have her baby today or tomorrow. She's overdue so they are trying to induce right now. If that doesn't result in a vaginal birth today, shel have another caesarean late today or tomorrow. We'll be up there to see everyone Saturday morning.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Should You Be an Index Investor?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement