Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: YvesManoover Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 124931  
Subject: Re: Expatriot IRA Question Date: 2/10/2001 7:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sorry to give you a scare, you may still be right & I may just be creating a distinction that doesn't exist. When I said "hazy knowledge" earlier, I'm referring to when I posted such a question to, and the answer I got back, if I remember right, was that it had to be U.S.-earned. Unfortunately only keeps archives for up to 2 months, so I can't go back to my question and the answer.

So I'm with you there, I'll have to go slog through Pub 54 or 590 myself. But it seems to me Pub 54 wouldn't have a reference to IRAs on p. 29 if it didn't mean to imply that at least it's possible to make such a contribution, even though the income is foreign-earned.

If you find out anything, share the knowledge. Could be there's yet one more way for me to optimize my taxes for this year!

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.