Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (118) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Ibsulon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 195810  
Subject: Re: Reforming marriage Date: 1/19/2005 2:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Sorry to intrude, as I don't properly belong here, but I have a question after reading the thread.

Barna has studied marriages between those who identify themselves as Christian and those that do not and finds no discernable difference in divorce between the two.

Though at my former church, there was no real problem with divorce past the theoretical (partially because the pastor's daughter divorced a man after he allegedly molested the children) I know that there is a fairly strong current against divorce in most Christian churches.

That is, until you get into the specifics. It seems like it's always more valid when you are friends with the person going through the divorce. This was a pretty common thread from what I saw.

My question, then, is why hasn't the Christian Church cleaned up its own house before looking to remove the speck out of the secular world's eye? Do you not really believe what you say? Your children?

Do you seek to raise the world's standard precisely because you cannot meet your own? I know that Daniel, when he came into training under the Chaldeans, "8 resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. 9 Now God had caused the official to show favor and sympathy to Daniel, 10 but the official told Daniel, "I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your [c] food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you."" (NIV, Daniel 1:8-10)

If you do not even have the strength to keep your own marriages together, then where is the power of this God you speak of?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (118) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement