No. of Recommendations: 2
Sorry you didn't get a response. This board is so busy lately that it's hard to keep up with. I just retired Jan 1 at age 50 and am in the middle of what you are expecting. My mother is in a nursing home folowing a stroke 3 years ago and my father is in assisted living in the early stages of Alzhiemers. They are 81 and 84 respectively and I'm probably looking at another 10 years with dad. I can tell you from experience that dealing with teen age children is much easier.

I would suggest that if you want to get out of DC try to talk them into it now. As time goes by they will become more resistant to change and less able to adjust. If that works then, at the same time try to move them into a senior retirement or assisted living situation. Again because it will be easier now than later.

Life is full of challenges and we have to roll with the punches. It is great to have them still with me and I'm happy to pay the price. They certainly have paid the price for me for 50 years. Love them and help them all you can, but realize they are indipendant individuals and really don't want to have people help them. They want to take care of themselves. That's what makes it so hard but for them it's a matter of their dignity. It's a very touchy situation.

Good Luck,
Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.