UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10547  
Subject: Sound bars Date: 1/1/2013 10:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Obviously a sound bar doesn't do a great job but I'm trying to figure out a way to improve my tv only audio in my bedroom.

Currently my tv sits on a low dresser such that the tv is at eye level. What I was thinking is that I could get a sound bar and place it under the tv stand. Hopefully that would improve the sound quality and not take up a lot of room, nor require a receiver.

I've only glanced at sound bars and it appears that some won't work the way I would like (i.e., won't provide a flat surface where I can put my tv/tv stand on top of it).

If it matters the tv is a 42" Panasonic Plasma.

Anyone have any experiences with them? And can I place a tv on it?

Thanks
Rich
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10090 of 10547
Subject: Re: Sound bars Date: 1/1/2013 3:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Rich:

There the Bose Under-TV speaker (http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/... ). A tad pricy at $500 but I haven’t checked out lower-cost sources. The price is somewhat reasonable since there’s no sub to add to the cost.

Hope you're having a good start to the new year.

MichaelR

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10092 of 10547
Subject: Re: Sound bars Date: 1/1/2013 4:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
I have two sound bars at home. A sophisticated Yamaha that will do simulated 5.1 (how well depends on the room), and a 2.1 Klipsch that does what it is supposed to do very well. It has a bluetooth sub so no need for a wire.

There's no way on earth you could put a TV on top. They are only a couple of inches thick, and 3-4 inches high.

The TV is in a nook above the fireplace. Not much room up there. I put the Klipsch bar just in front of our 55-inch Samsung and raised the TV a couple of inches by cutting a couple of 2x6es to exactly fit under the base. That nicely placed the screen just above the top of the speaker bar and it works great. The Sub is on the floor below tucked into a corner.

If your TV is wall-mounted, you can hang the bar on the wall just above or below the screen.

Here's the Klipsch:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Klipsch+-+Icon+SB+1+Soundbar+wit...

I looked at a Samsung HDW 550, which is a little cheaper:
http://www.bizrate.com/stereo-speakers-headphones/2654688977...

Most audio builders make a soundbar of some kind. Varying quality and price. I looked at Sony, JBL, and Boston acousstics as well. I thought the Samsung was best value, but Best Buy was sold out, so I gulped and went with the Klipsch which, while costlier, has much better performance.

The cheapest were under $100 bucks, and you can get them with no Sub.

If you care, the bar should be as wide as, or close to, the width of your screen, so the sound source will match the screen position.

HTH,

Rip

Author: richinaz Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10097 of 10547
Subject: Re: Sound bars Date: 1/3/2013 7:03 PM

There's no way on earth you could put a TV on top. They are only a couple of inches thick, and 3-4 inches high.

Yeah that was my false assumption. I had assumed they were all more like the Bose system where you could put a tv on top. It also explains why some reviews mention that some sound bars block the infrared sensor on the tv (or some have a relay to make up for the blocking).

I'm not really a fan of mounting tvs. I usually need a stand for other audio equipment so putting a tv on it isn't a big deal. In the bedroom the tv easily fits on the dresser. I could mount it on the wall but that requires more effort and $$$.

If I have to I could use an old receiver and two speakers since the dresser is fairly wide (it already holds the fios box and a dvd player). At this point things will probably stay as they are since I have other home repairs to take care of. Maybe if my taxes go well I will reconsider at that point.

Thanks
Rich

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10101 of 10547
Subject: Re: Sound bars Date: 1/4/2013 2:01 PM
some sound bars block the infrared sensor on the tv (or some have a relay to make up for the blocking).

Yeah that was one of the reasons I raised the TV a couple of inches. Also, because we view the TV from slightly below, the bottom inch or so of the screen was obscured.

But the system works very well. We're pleased with it.

Rip

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement