Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Sounds like there is some revisionist stuff going on in the book?

I don't doubt that at all. Some should be legit, as in when there are new facts, you modify your theory to fit them. Some may be arbitrary. I have seen them admit to some. For instance, when we went to penny spreads on stocks and computers became prevalent they changed their FTD criteria to 2% if I recall right. The current book I am reading has it at 1.5%. Is that new, or super old? Not sure.

I just pulled the 2009 4th edition of HTMMS and O'Neil says he used to consider 1% the FTD threshold, but in recent years institutional investors have learned of our system and we've moved up the requirement a significant amount to minimize manipulation. (That might be a little egotistical.)

On page 298 of that book, he says I prefer not to own stock that sells below $15 and so should you. Our extensive historical studies of 125 years of America's super winners shows that most of them break out of chart bases between $30 and $50 a share So yes, the weekly review contradicts that.

Definitely this is a system for individual investors. It emphasizes that large institutions are responsible for the big market moves, but they have to acquire and sell slowly, giving the nimble individual an opportunity to beat them to the punch.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement