Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Sounds like they miss a time in the past when the public schools reinforced values that were taught at home and/or church,

-----

I disagree that public schools don't teach/reinforce good values and behaviors, like the golden rule, they just don't do it with a religious wrapper, which we all know is not necessary.

Not exactly what I said. Sure, public schools to some extent teach values. It's just they have removed the formerly Christian basis for them, and replaced it with something else. And some of the values they teach go against traditional Christian values.

There is a large overlap between Christian values and what is allowed to be taught in public schools today. The Golden Rule, for example, is not exclusively "Christian", as it has it's equivalent in other systems of ethics too.

they just don't do it with a religious wrapper, which we all know is not necessary

Not necessary for what? Certainly not necessary for teaching values, but you make an assumption that removing God from the equation has no consequences. I think that is debatable.

-Bryan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement