UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PokeyB One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75377  
Subject: Re: Investing in Equities close to retirement Date: 11/13/1999 1:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sounds like you are about my age, so I will jump in here.

I think a lot depends on the type of investments you are looking at, and what you want to accomplish, and your risk tolerance. I personally don't feel I have enough to retire so I am working hard to stash as much as possible in individual growth companies, in my IRA(s) first, of course.

A index fund is not my cup-o-tea, nor is Dogs of the Dow; they are both real conservative, in my mind, for the risk averse, but I may give them a second look when I bite the bullet and actually quit working. Of course no one can forsee the future, but I am going on the premise that the large companies of our world are not going away, and while any individual company may sink for a while, if you are diversied, they won't all sink at once..............unless there is a universal catastrophy like war, recession, Democrates stay in White House, sun spots, etc, or worse yet all of the above :]

I don't plan to invest in the lottery, spell that "microcap oil exploration companies", but rather the larger American Companies that appear to be well managed, have cash (Cash Kings) low or no debt (Cash Kings)........you get the picture. You need to develop your own criteria.

The best source of info in my opinion are the Gardners books, and this web site. (unpaid testimonial). That's not to say I don't use other sources of info, but this is the most fundamentally sound, feet on the ground one I have run across.

I probably should quit talking now and let someone with some really good advise speak.

I peeked at your profile and see that you are in the UK, so if that's your home, I guess you could insert European where I have American. (or not)

George
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

The Future, or What's Left of It
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement