Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Sounds like you'd need the federal Turbotax and 2 states. They are two separate programs. One does federal and you get one state with the state and can get an additional state for extra fee. My returns are pretty complex and the program handles all the wrinkles.
If you get a tax preparer, you will still have to assemble all your data to give to him/her. By the time you find all the numbers, it isn't that much more trouble to go through Turbotax.
If you wade through all the stuff and do your own, you will amass a fund of knowledge that will help you do your own next year.
I'm prejudiced on the do-it-yourself end; clearly your mom prefers to let a professional do hers.
Best wishes, Chris
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.