Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Sounds like your manager is just the type of person I enjoy meeting. I've been riding since '90, a couple years before graduating college, and am always interested in how people respond to a female riding a motorcycle. I started on a NT650 (Honda Hawk) and now have a CBR929 and a track bike FZR400 - 3 bikes in the 'stable' so far!

I've always been involved with Motorcycle Safety, having worked (and succeeded) several years ago to keep the Program from becoming privatized.

A couple years ago I went for an interview at company X - a well known fortune 500 company - and rode my motorcycle. I walked in with all the right gear, Dainese leathers, Arai helmet, Dainese gloves and boots, you get the picture, I was serious about safety.

I was interviewing for an engineering position, confident they would be impressed by my experience, talent and attitude. I interviewed with the team and everyone gave a total thumbs up, except the Director. She said she didn't know about me because I rode a motorcycle to the interview. She gave me a thumb down, but her vote didn't count as the rest of the team said I was in!

I worked there for several years, had a great time, won several accolades from the company, and totally kicked butt. It took her several years to warm up to me, but she eventually did and we talked about her initial reaction - more based on intimidation and the unknown than facts based in reality.

So, there is one manager out there who has been educated that some of us who choose to ride motorcycles are excellent team members, contributors to the success of the company, and lead lives a little riskier than the rest of the populace.

Keep ridin'!
cheers,
deb
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement