UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63065  
Subject: Sounds To Me Like... Date: 12/1/2008 12:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
...the country may be on the verge of a total collapse:

Local Pillars, Auto Dealerships Teeter as Big Three Decline
By CLIFFORD KRAUSS
Any government help will probably come too late for
thousands of dealers whose sales are evaporating along with
consumer confidence and credit. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/30/business/30dealer.html?th&...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15857 of 63065
Subject: Re: Sounds To Me Like... Date: 12/1/2008 1:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
<<“As a kid I dreamed about cars,” he said. “The business has changed and the cars have changed, and it’s been fun to be part of that.”

But he said he saw more trouble ahead.

“At this point, I see no light at the end of the tunnel,” he said, closing his eyes for a moment to think. “I only see it getting worse. Any bailout to Detroit will take a while to get to Main Street.”

>>

A sad story.

My grandfather was partner in a Ford dealership until he went bankrupt in 1936, run dry of cash by the depresseion and the opening of a bridge which bypassed traffic away from his business.

I have pictures of summer picnics with all the employees that look like the good days described in this article, probably dating from the 1920s.

My grandfather was originally an accountant with a bank. After the closure of the dealership he took a job as an accountant with the unemployment office --- a growth industry at the time, I suppose.

He was killed in 1949 when the old car he was driving, a legacy of his dealership days, stalled when he was coming out froma stop sign and he was t-boned.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15862 of 63065
Subject: Re: Sounds To Me Like... Date: 12/1/2008 10:56 AM
Recommendations: 0
As a kid I dreamed about cars,” he said. “The business has changed and the cars have changed, and it’s been fun to be part of that.”

But he said he saw more trouble ahead.

“At this point, I see no light at the end of the tunnel,” he said, closing his eyes for a moment to think. “I only see it getting worse. Any bailout to Detroit will take a while to get to Main Street.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I pick up my nephew and niece from school several days a week. A couple of months ago I was telling my fifteen year old nephew that most likely by the time he's my age (55) that people will all be driving around in electic cars and they will probably won't be much different than golf carts.

The problem is that car companies need to adapt and change with the times. They seem very reluctant to do so and if they aren't willing to change they need to disappear. I see the real problem as being greed. Car companies were too greedy and didn't think long term. I also think everything they sell is overpriced.

We need some really innovative little companies to step in and design and sell some really inexpensive fuel efficient vehicles like the Indian Tata and other ultra efficient cars for the new reality.

Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement