Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1278  
Subject: Soundtrack editing? Date: 9/24/2007 5:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, I'm very new to sound editing for DV so bear with me...

Kids and I are making a ghost story in which there is a dream sequence featuring a dancer. We'd like to use sections of a song from the Cirque du Soleil soundtrack for Alegria (this is for home use only, I don't think they'll mind).

The song is twice as long as the dream sequence we want to choreograph. What I'd like to do is cut out half the verses to create a new audio file to use as part of the soundtrack. I have Final Cut Express which I have only started learning, but no other sound editing software. Any recommendations? At this stage I don't need anything fancy, and it doesn't have to be perfect because there will be other noises in the sequence to cover any flaws (wind, etc).

TIA,

Jon
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BeenFooled Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1272 of 1278
Subject: Re: Soundtrack editing? Date: 9/24/2007 10:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You could search for "sound edit" in versiontracker.com - there's a long list of apps, with promising combinations of thousands of downloads and 4 or 5 star ratings. Those would be a good start - what you are trying to do is pretty basic, all of the apps should do it well. I don't have any specific experience with any of them though. Actually, I am sort of surprised FCP won't do this - have you tried selecting the parts you don't want and Cut-ting them out (apple-X)? You might have to unlink them from the video clips they are attached to (if they are).

In fact now that I say this, I think if you open our sound in Quicktime (maybe has to be Pro), I am pretty sure you can do exactly what I said above, although perhaps not too precisely.

HTH
BF

Author: jwiest Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1273 of 1278
Subject: Re: Soundtrack editing? Date: 9/24/2007 10:25 PM
You could search for "sound edit" in versiontracker.com - there's a long list of apps, with promising combinations of thousands of downloads and 4 or 5 star ratings. Those would be a good start - what you are trying to do is pretty basic, all of the apps should do it well.

I did find Sound Studio, which has a very simple interface. The demo version already allowed me to do what I wanted, but also makes it easy to record and split tracks from vinyl, so I might spring for the whole program.

Actually, I am sort of surprised FCP won't do this - have you tried selecting the parts you don't want and Cut-ting them out (apple-X)? You might have to unlink them from the video clips they are attached to (if they are).

I'm using FCE, and I'm just not familiar enough with it yet.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement