Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: Retirement Locations Date: 5/28/2011 12:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
South Carolina – Pleasant climate, but high crime rate and poor life expectancy.

Having moved to SC from CA, the climate didn't impress me. I found the Bay Area climate pretty close to perfect. I've lived in SC for 9 years and know nobody who's been victimized by crime (save my Mom getting her car keyed when she affixed a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker ;-) The poor life expectancy is experienced by the poor, who get inferior medical care and diet (most things seem to be fried, sweetened, and salted to death). I've met plenty of elderly in SC in good health.

My favorite things about SC are nice people, beautiful beaches & tidal creeks, good food (if you avoid indulging in too many fried or heavily sweetened or salted dishes), peace & quiet. CHeap, fabulous local shrimp & flounder. Decent arts scene in CHarleston.

Still, we want to move to NYC to be closer to kids & grandkid. I'm subletting in the city now to babysit for our grandson--and absolutely love it! But what we can afford here for what we'll get for our house in SC is most likely a 1-BR, 1-BA apartment! But having spent 3 months every summer for the past 5 years in our RV--much smaller than apartment I'm considering, I know the hubster and I thrive with a single small bathroom, small kitchen, and generally simplified existence. Kinda zen, actually. Living in NYC reminds me of RVing--you spend most of your time out & about learning & doing new things, and do a lot of walking in the course of everyday life (as opposed to having to drive somewhere to get exercise). I can get really lazy in a suburban house, so cities suit me better. I was happy in San Francisco as well.

But another piece of my psyche wants to live on a commune!

=alstro, aging hippie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (58) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

U.S. Stable, Europe Stalling
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement