Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hetepheres Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55906  
Subject: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/5/2012 10:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a jug of This Soy Vay Teriyaki that after making some sauce for a stir-fry, I left it out overnight in the kitchen. Found it first thing in the morning and got it back in the fridge.

It's a Costco size jug, about half full. Must I throw it out or do you folks think it can still be used?

Thanks...

Hetep
Print the post Back To Top
Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54501 of 55906
Subject: Re: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/5/2012 7:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I have a jug of This Soy Vay Teriyaki ....

I would say oy vey, I shouldn't have left the Soy Vay out. Throw it away--why take a chance? And you've learned your lesson.

sheila

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54502 of 55906
Subject: Re: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/5/2012 7:21 PM
Recommendations: 1
No idea what's in that stuff, so yeah - I'd probably toss it.

On the other hand - I make teriyaki sauce from scratch all the time and the raw ingredients are at room temp (soy sauce, saki, mirin, sugar).

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54503 of 55906
Subject: Re: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/6/2012 9:53 AM
Recommendations: 4
I offer a differing opinion.
Put it back in th efridge and carry on.

I also believe that about 80% of condiments are nice to have refrigerated, and will keep longer
but are not Necessary to be refrigerated.

Honestly- if you had taken it out in the morning for some reason, and then realized at dinner that it had been out all day- would you have given it a second thought?
or just put it back in the fridge?

Soy sauce can be left out for days and be OK -
what else is in SoyVay besides seasoning, sesame oil & sesame seeds?
So it is kind of like salad dressing? right
I don't refrigerate our (homemade) salad dressing and thatis fine for days - even in th esummer...

SoyVay isn't cheap- I say it is probably fine, keep it.

peace & room temperature
t

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54504 of 55906
Subject: Re: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/6/2012 10:12 AM
No idea what's in that stuff...

It might be a good idea to post (and read) what's on the label.

Author: TeraGram Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54505 of 55906
Subject: Re: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/6/2012 11:29 AM
I concur with tconi, with the following caveat.

If you have always poured the product out into another dish and never stuck a brush or spoon into it, keep it.

If you're like my kid and insist on sticking spoons and chop sticks and what not into containers, pitch it.

Author: OleDocJ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54506 of 55906
Subject: Re: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/6/2012 4:58 PM
Recommendations: 3
Interesting. I've never refrigerated my soy sauce (Kikkoman) - ever! But, that does contain preservatives. OTOH soy sauce is a fermented product and is acidic (lactic acid).

I looked on the bottle and it does say refrigerate after opening, but I never have. Keeps just fine at room temperature - even for over a year.

OleDoc

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54507 of 55906
Subject: Re: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/7/2012 8:34 AM
Recommendations: 2
Interesting. I've never refrigerated my soy sauce (Kikkoman) - ever! But, that does contain preservatives. OTOH soy sauce is a fermented product and is acidic (lactic acid).

I looked on the bottle and it does say refrigerate after opening, but I never have. Keeps just fine at room temperature - even for over a year.

I too never refrigerated my soy sauce (Kikkoman too), Doc. I have a 20 Fl ounce bottle that I keep in the cabinet next to the stove. When that bottle gets low, I refill it from the gallon can that I keeps in the pantry. My ex-SIL, Mako, never refrigerated her soy sauce and nether did her mother in Japan.
;-)

C.J.V. - don’t remember seeing the original bottles (from Japan) saying to refrigerate after opening, me

Author: Hetepheres Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 54546 of 55906
Subject: Re: Soy Vay overnight Date: 9/13/2012 11:28 AM
Recommendations: 1
First, Thank you to everyone for your replies. I don't have any kids in the house these days, I always pour, and got it back in the fridge as soon as I saw it that morning, so I think I'll keep it and carry on.

Thanks!

Hetep

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement