UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 69365  
Subject: Space Radiation Giving Astronauts Alzheimers Date: 12/31/2012 7:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
...my Uncle Ernie used to say that the Moon astronauts were never the same when they came back.

http://www.space.com/19082-space-radiation-astronauts-alzhei...

</snip>
Print the post Back To Top
Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47178 of 69365
Subject: Re: Space Radiation Giving Astronauts Alzheimers Date: 1/2/2013 3:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The article says the effects would be in "deep space" -- but we haven't gone there yet. AFAIK, there's been no study showing harmful effects to any of the astronauts on lunar missions, Skylab missions, or EOS missions.

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47179 of 69365
Subject: Re: Space Radiation Giving Astronauts Alzheimers Date: 1/2/2013 3:29 AM
Recommendations: 0
I meant ISS missions.

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47194 of 69365
Subject: Re: Space Radiation Giving Astronauts Alzheimers Date: 1/2/2013 11:43 PM
Recommendations: 1
The article says the effects would be in "deep space" -- but we haven't gone there yet. AFAIK, there's been no study showing harmful effects to any of the astronauts on lunar missions, Skylab missions, or EOS missions.

Once you get outside the Van Allen belt, I don't know what would distinguish the radiation levels of deep space. That runs from about several hundred to tens of thousands of km. Even commercial aircraft that fly at 10,000 m altitude or so have to meet additional radiation specs because of loss of protection from the Van Allen belt. Satellites that are in low earth orbit (400 to 600 km) have slightly more additional radiation specs beyond what a commercial jet would have while satellites in higher orbits (geo-sync at 42,000 km, for example) have significant radiation hardness specs.

So typical space shuttle flights would expose astronauts to significantly more radiation than on earth or even in a transatlantic flight. Flights to the moon or mars would expose them to even more.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement