Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21259  
Subject: Spaghetti sauce Date: 8/28/2007 11:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Okay. I did a harvest today.

Tomorrow I will attempt to make spaghetti sauce and can it in my water bath set up.

I know not to add meat (thanks Kathleen!), but what about other fresh veggies from the garden, like green pepper, onion and jalapeno?

I got fresh oregano, basil, thyme and garlic and I know these are no problem...

TIA...

LJ
Print the post Back To Top
Author: riverlad Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19814 of 21259
Subject: Re: Spaghetti sauce Date: 8/29/2007 12:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
They'd all be good if those flavors will work in all applications you have in mind for the sauce. Sometimes, "less is more" if the profusion of veggies and spices result in a sauce that's overly complex. One excellent addition is some slivers of carrot to counter the natural acidity of the tomatoes. They'll disappear after lengthy cooking and add a natural sweetness.

Do you plan to remove the seeds from the tomatoes? A bit of work, but worth it!

Good luck!
Dick

Author: QuickCarrera Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Olympia3 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19815 of 21259
Subject: Re: Spaghetti sauce Date: 8/29/2007 12:50 PM
For you lucky tomato harvesters, this is a delicious and unusual twist on the traditional spaghetti sauces. The recipe was put together by a friend on the old Cooks Forum on CI$.

***** BAKED TOMATO SPAGHETTI *****
12 Medium size (about 1 3/4 lb. total) firm ripe Roma
Salt and Pepper
4 garlic cloves,HUGE ones, chopped/crushed
3/4 cup chopped parsley (I used more and used Italian)
1/2+ cup olive oil
1 lb dry spaghetti (I used linguine)
2 Tbsp butter, room temp
1/2 cup basil, fresh whole

2 Tablespoons crumbled dry
Fresh-grated Parmesan cheese

Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and set, cut sides up, in a 9 by 13
inch baking pan or dish (line w/foil if glass). Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
Mix garlic, 1/2 cup parsley, and 3-4 tablespoons olive oil; pat mixture over
cut sides of tomatoes. Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over tomatoes. Bake
in a 425 oven until browned on top, 60 to 70 minutes.
In a 5-6 quart pan, bring about 3 quarts water to a boil on high heat.
Add spaghetti and cook, uncovered, until barely tender to bite, 8 to 9
minutes. Drain. (I cook my spaghetti a little longer, for a smoother
texture)
In a warm large serving bowl, combine butter, remaining parsley and
oil, basil, and 4 tomato halves. Remove and discard most of the skin
from the 4 halves; coarsely mash. Add pasta and mix. Add remaining
baked tomatoes and pan juices. Gently mix, adding salt, pepper, and
cheese to taste. Makes 9 cups, or 6 to 8 servings.

Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19816 of 21259
Subject: Re: Spaghetti sauce Date: 8/29/2007 1:37 PM
Thanks for the carrot suggestion!

I plan to leave the seeds in the sauce...

I have quite a few green peppers, so have decided to make a relish rather than put them in the sauce for canning.

In the sauce I think I will just add garlic and seasonings (and carrot)...

Here's the green pepper relish I want to make - will leave out the pimentos though and will cut the recipe down:
GREEN PEPPER RELISH
24 med. green peppers, cored & seeded12 med. onions3 c. sugar3 c. vinegar2 tbsp. salt2 tbsp. celery seed2 tbsp. mustard seed1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes4 oz. can pimientos, drained & dicedPut green peppers and onions through medium blade of meat grinder. Place in colander. Pour boiling water over vegetables; drain; repeat with more boiling water. Turn vegetables into large pot; add remaining ingredients. Bring to boil; cook over very low heat for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour into hot sterilized jars. Seal at once.

LJ

Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19817 of 21259
Subject: Re: Spaghetti sauce Date: 8/29/2007 1:40 PM
***** BAKED TOMATO SPAGHETTI *****

YUMMY!!!!!!

LJ

Author: NoIDAtAll Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19839 of 21259
Subject: Re: Spaghetti sauce Date: 9/16/2007 10:13 AM
Recommendations: 2
I got fresh oregano, basil, thyme and garlic and I know these are no problem...

A little oregano and a decent amount of minced garlic are almost a must. Oregano is very powerful, and bitter if overused - A little goes a long way. I don't know about thyme. I've never tried it. Like oregano, thyme is very powerful and I wouldn't want to end up with a sauce that tastes like it was made in a chemical lab. Some Basil is good.

I also like using some ripe and/or salad olives. I often add a couple of finely chopped jalapeño peppers along with the bell peppers for (a bit of) heat, depending on whom I'm making the sauce for.

Adding meat is probably not a good idea for storing, but I would definitely add some browned hamburger and ground pork with 20% fat before serving. The ground pork adds a lot of flavor. Some people don't care for mushrooms. I do. If you like them, I'd probably add them to the meat while it's browning along with some chopped sweet vidalia onions. I also like to add a dry wine - Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon. I usually add sugar and butter at the end, to taste - Sugar can correct overuse of oregano, to a degree, and butter tends to mellow the overall sauce somewhat.

Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19840 of 21259
Subject: Re: Spaghetti sauce Date: 9/16/2007 10:54 PM
Recommendations: 2
< I usually add sugar and butter at the end, to taste - Sugar can correct overuse of oregano, to a degree, and butter tends to mellow the overall sauce somewhat.>

Cool tip about the sugar! I like a buttery taste in just about everything - oh yeah - hold a dandelion under my chin!

I did put jalapenos in my sauce as well as onions and garlic. I love black olives, and can't believe I didn't think about adding it! Guess I was thinking all fresh ingredients from the garden.

Lots of things can be added when actually using the sauce. In the meantime I am proud of myself for getting my second canning ever done!

This week I am finally going to do the green pepper relish - quite a few large ones on the vine!

Thanks!

LJ

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement