UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757323  
Subject: Speakin' Jedi's Language Quote O' The Day Date: 11/13/2012 10:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
QOTD: "...let’s hope the Speaker and the rest of the Republican negotiators are smart enough to propose revenue increases that will hurt liberals the most. Start by taxing the ever-loving crap out of Hollywood. I’ve suggested this before, and the esteemed Instapundit, Glenn Reynolds, was on the same wavelength last August when he suggested bringing back the 20 percent excise tax on motion picture gross revenue from the 1950s.

“The movie excise tax was imposed in response to the high deficits after World War Two,” Reynolds recalled. ”Deficits are high again, and there’s already historical precedent. Of course, to keep up with technology, the tax should now apply to DVDs, downloadable movies, pay-per-view and the like. But in these financially perilous times, why should movie stars and studio moguls, with their yachts, swimming pools and private jets, not at least shoulder the burden they carried back in Harry Truman’s day – when, to be honest, movies were better anyway.”

As Reynolds noted, one side effect of such proposals is that it causes far-Left Hollywood types to suddenly begin babbling about the depressing effects of high tax rates upon economic growth, as though they had been suddenly possessed by the ghost of Milton Friedman. That’s fun even if the tax proposals end up getting defeated. Especially now that we have YouTube to disseminate and immortalize their panicked bursts of “trickle-down economic” wisdom." --John Hayward
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654977 of 757323
Subject: Re: Speakin' Jedi's Language Quote O' The Day Date: 11/13/2012 4:47 PM
Recommendations: 4
Such a forward thinking article.

Why should Big Hollywood get tax loopholes and help?

Better yet, let's pilot test a Value Added Tax, or VAT where it come to entertainment. At every stage of a motion picture....from writing a script, to editing, to auditions, to signing actors, to getting investors, to delivering the reel to movie theaters...let's add a tax to each part of it.

JediG

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654988 of 757323
Subject: Re: Speakin' Jedi's Language Quote O' The Day Date: 11/13/2012 6:12 PM
Recommendations: 0
Quoted: The movie excise tax was imposed in response to the high deficits after World War Two,” Reynolds recalled. ”Deficits are high again, and there’s already historical precedent. Of course, to keep up with technology, the tax should now apply to DVDs, downloadable movies, pay-per-view and the like. But in these financially perilous times, why should movie stars and studio moguls, with their yachts, swimming pools and private jets, not at least shoulder the burden they carried back in Harry Truman’s day – when, to be honest, movies were better anyway.

This is a great idea, and one which Republican legislators have perhaps not thought of. I shall write to my Republican representative(s) in the House and suggest it.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 654989 of 757323
Subject: Re: Speakin' Jedi's Language Quote O' The Day Date: 11/13/2012 6:14 PM
If anyone else wants to write to their representatives, you can email them.

http://www.house.gov/representatives

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655033 of 757323
Subject: Re: Speakin' Jedi's Language Quote O' The Day Date: 11/13/2012 10:56 PM
Your representatives have already made the deal with Obama.

It's done.

Let em posture a little bit. Let 2016 hopefuls pretend they are against the deal.

But the deal was made.

JediG

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655034 of 757323
Subject: Re: Speakin' Jedi's Language Quote O' The Day Date: 11/13/2012 11:05 PM
What features, in your opinion, constitute the deal?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement