UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: aps3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1482  
Subject: speaking of John McPhee... Date: 8/26/1999 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
No sooner do I start reading John McPhee's book on Bill Bradley's college days than the Boston Globe comes out and writes a nice little article about it:

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/237/living/Grace_on_both_sides_of_the_ball+.shtml

This is from yesterday's Globe, and their web site only keeps articles on line for 2 days (before they make you pay to see'em), so you have to look today if you're interested...

Print the post Back To Top
Author: GabbyG Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 230 of 1482
Subject: Re: speaking of John McPhee... Date: 8/26/1999 1:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
That was an enjoyable article. Thanks for the link.

As Alex Beam said in his article (and one reason why I read McPhee), "McPhee's book is nostalgic in another sense as well: It made me miss good writing. When I was in college, and later, McPhee was the gold standard, a writer who made you want to become a writer."

McPhee was the first author that made me want to become a writer after reading Basin and Range. That temporary idea has long since been abandoned but he is still the type of author that makes me want to communicate better, observe more, see the extraordinary in the commonplace, travel a little more and tell more people about it.

Cheers to McPhee.

Gary

Author: GeoGoddess Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 231 of 1482
Subject: Re: speaking of John McPhee... Date: 8/26/1999 5:31 PM
Gary (GabbyG) admitted: McPhee was the first author that made me want to become a writer after reading Basin and Range. That temporary idea has long since been abandoned...

McPhee's writing inspired me that way, too. I'm happy to confess I recently decided to dust off my old dream of becoming a "real writer." I'm starting with Technical Writing and plan to take some creative writing and feature writing courses. I suspect this folder is full of real and wannabe writers.

Write on,
Sara

Author: GabbyG Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 232 of 1482
Subject: Re: speaking of John McPhee... Date: 8/27/1999 9:34 AM
I have been reading a book by Stephen Jay Gould, Time's Arrow, Time's Cycle, and he quotes a metaphor from John McPhee's book Basin and Range.. It is one of the best, if not the best metaphor, I have read in regard to geologic time. Since it is in reference to geologic time and there is now a geology folder (thanks GeoGoddess), I will conclude my post there.

Gary

Author: pilgprog Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 286 of 1482
Subject: Re: speaking of John McPhee... Date: 1/12/2000 10:04 AM
Also read "A Sense of Where You Are". John McPhee wrote this in 1965 just after Bill Bradley graduated from Princeton - ie, it is a contemporary account on Bradley by a fellow Princetonian (McPhee). I understand it has been reissued. Early McPhee, early Bradley, and very good reading - the Bradley you see today is as he was, for real. (And I'm not on his bandwagon).

/pilgprog

Author: pilgprog Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 393 of 1482
Subject: Re: speaking of John McPhee... Date: 8/13/2000 2:32 PM
While tramping the San Juan's in the Rockies this summer I obtained (via Amazon, with excellent service) a copy of John McPhee's book "Basin and Range".

Very enjoyable geology by a non-geologist. While it focuses on the area from Utah through Nevada, along I-40, it was facinating reading for this mountain lover.

Author: VAJaybird Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 400 of 1482
Subject: Re: speaking of John McPhee... Date: 8/16/2000 10:09 PM
mountain lover

Have you read Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson? He is tramping the Appalachian Trail. I can't do it, so it was a vicarious trip for me.
Pat

Author: pilgprog Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 401 of 1482
Subject: Re: speaking of John McPhee... Date: 8/16/2000 11:32 PM
Pat - no I have not read "A Walk in the Woods" - thanks for the information. I will add it to my list.

I read the McPhee and similar books from the armchair on the cabin porch - and try to remember what I read there when I'm out on the road or trail and see some incredible formation. What beauty we've been given!

Thanks again.

Allen

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement