Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bleplatt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55931  
Subject: Speaking of reciptes Date: 2/25/2006 11:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone have a good kaluha recipe? GF and I are smitten with the Starbucks version of a coffe liquor (sp), but not the price....

TIA

b
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bigpix Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41532 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 2/25/2006 11:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Some things you just have to pay for. Otherwise it's just not the same.

Recipe:get in car and drive to Liquor store.

But a bottle of real Kalulha

Get back in car and drive home (do not open bottle in car)

Make fresh brewed coffee and pour in a shot.

Enjoy

bigpix

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41534 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 2/26/2006 3:04 AM
Does anyone have a good kaluha recipe? GF and I are smitten with the Starbucks version of a coffe liquor (sp), but not the price....

TIA

I make Kaluha every other year and give it for Christmas presents. I've had several people request more, and a few request the recipe. Fair warning, I use a 5 gallon jug to make it, and it takes several months.

I start with a cup of sugar, 2 cups of water and a half cup of instant coffee. It can be cheap stuff, this is only the base. Boil the water, add the sugar and make a sugar syrup from it. Add the instant coffee, and stir until melted. Pour into jug, and add a fifth of vodka. I use the really cheap vodka, too. I'll actually go into the package store and ask, "What's your cheapest vodka?"
Add a pot of really good flavored coffee, whatever kind you like. I really like the chocolate raspberry, the Irish Cream, and the toffee flavors, so those are the ones that get used. Add a whole vanilla bean. Cover and let set, shaking every now and then to make sure everything is mixed together well.

After a week or two, add another pot of coffee, another bottle of vodka, another vanilla bean, and a cup or so of sugar syrup. Sometimes, I'll just toss a cup or two of sugar into the pot of coffee to cut down on the extra water. Shake well again. Add more every few weeks until the bottle is full. Don't worry about mixing the flavors of coffee or using coffee that has been sitting and has become "sludge". The more towards "sludge" the coffee is, the better it comes out in the end.

When the bottle gets full, let it set for another month, shaking occasionally. After the month, pour into the bottles, cork, and seal. It is ready at any point.
Kathleen

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41539 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 2/26/2006 11:46 AM
Recommendations: 1
My son makes this and we enjoy it a lot.

Kahlua

1 Vanilla Bean
4 Cups Sugar
4 Cups water
4 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
26 Ounces Vodka

Bring Coffee, water and sugar to boil. Boil 10 minutes. Cool.
Add vodka, place mixture in two 1 qt. bottles add 1/2 vanilla bean to each bottle, seal bottles with tape or wax, place in cool, dark place. Gently agitate daily. Keep two to four weeks before opening.

Enjoy, Blue

Author: bleplatt Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41540 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 2/26/2006 12:10 PM
Thanks, blue and z.

Obviously, I should also stop sampling the Starbucks while I post....

Author: Shadowfen Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41542 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 2/26/2006 12:59 PM
Recommendations: 2

I posted this some time ago... It's my favorite Kahlua recipe and doesn't use instant <shudder> coffee. (What can I say, I'm prejudiced. It is much harder to prepare instant properly than it is to brew real coffee IMHO. <G>)

Shadowfen

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16872758

Fen's Homemade Kahlua

Ingredients:
1 lb 100% Columbian coffee
1 1/2 qt water

7 C. sugar
2 1/2 qt water
2 oz vanilla extract

1 fifth 190 proof grain alcohol (Everclear)

Preparation:
Boil coffee in 1 1/2 quarts of water for 15-25 minutes. Let cool for 2 hours. Strain through several thicknesses of cloth. (I line a colander with cheesecloth and set it in/over a "drain" pan, pour the coffee and grinds in it, wait a while, and then gather up the cheesecloth and grinds into a ball and wring it out to get as much of the coffee as possible - make sure the grinds cool first to avoid burning yourself.)

In separate pot, boil sugar and 2 1/2 quarts of water for 45 minutes. Let cool thoroughly.

Mix coffee and sugar water with vanilla extract and Everclear. Let all ingredients cool well before adding alcohol so that the alcohol doesn't evaporate.

The Kahlua does not have to age, but it is better if left in a cool, dark place for 1-2 weeks.

Makes approx 4 bottles (25 fl oz each).

Notes: To get the best from this recipe, use the best pure vanilla extract that you can find - none of this artificial stuff! Mexican vanilla is awesome!

Using Columbian coffee produces a flavor that compares very favorably with the commercial Kahlua, however you can try other varieties of coffee for differing subtleties of flavor. (Flavored coffees too - I had one batch made with Irish cream flavored coffee that was wonderful!) Don't bother with trying to adapt instant coffee to this recipe. If you want a good quality product, you have to use good quality ingredients and instant coffee won't work.

While you can substitute vodka for the grain alcohol, vodka has its own (albeit subtle) distinctive taste that I don't want underneath my Kahlua. Tastes vary.

Author: jeajr One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41640 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 3/4/2006 6:38 AM
How about a home made Irish Cream Liquor?

tia

j

Author: gardengirl56 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41642 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 3/4/2006 12:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<<<How about a home made Irish Cream Liquor?>>>>

If you are asking for one, I have a great one, although it involves raw eggs. I don't have a problem with raw eggs, have made and served this for years with no problems, but I know some do not like raw eggs. Let me know if you would like me to post it....

gg56
has survived years of eating raw cookie dough

Author: jeajr One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41644 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 3/4/2006 2:39 PM
gg,

<<<<<Let me know if you would like me to post it....>>>>

Certainly!

Thanks,

j

Author: gardengirl56 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41652 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 3/4/2006 6:46 PM
<<<<<Let me know if you would like me to post it....>>>>

Certainly!>>>>

Bailey's Irish Cream, Homemade

6 eggs
2 14 oz cans sweetened condensed milk
1 pint whipping cream
4 TBS chocolate syrup
1 ½ cups IRISH whiskey

Mix all ingredients in blender. Keep cool in sealed bottles. Shake before pouring. Makes about ½ gallon. Will keep in fridge about a week.

I have found it usually stays longer than a week, but I tend to make it for parties and give some away in cute bottles so I've never actually had it last much longer than a week ;)

This tends to be a little thicker and sweeter than the store bought stuff. It's especially good in coffee with kahlua. ;)

Enjoy!

gg56

PS Anyone want a limoncello recipe? Very pricey to buy, but cheap and easy to make!

Author: blueberryhill Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 41653 of 55931
Subject: Re: Speaking of reciptes Date: 3/4/2006 6:48 PM
Yes please post the recipe, thanks.. Blue

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement