No. of Recommendations: 1
Speaking of tips, the doorman at the Las Vegas Hilton who opened taxi doors for arriving guests had a scam going when I was there.

I watched him. inevitably he'd block the public's view as he held the door open for the passengers then ostentatiously pocket a dollar bill.

Something was wrong, a disturbance in the force if you will. My Spidey sense was tingling.

It took a minute of observation to figure out exactly what was happening. He'd hold his left hand (side visible to the public) out to help the passenger out of the cab. Then magically a dollar bill would appear in his hand and he'd put it in his pocket.

It didn't matter if the person gave him a tip or not. He had a bill wrapped around his finger. If the passenger gave him a tip it would be waved and deposited in his pocket. If not the permanent bill would be moved into view and flamboyantly waved on its way to the same pocket where it would be palmed again in preparation for the next "show".
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement