UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61159  
Subject: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 1:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<<Twenty years after nearly going extinct, Snake River sockeye salmon are rebounding, but the extraordinary effort to save them comes at a cost to the public of nearly $9,000 per fish. >>

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2019705443_captivefis...

And of course human beings will never be allowed to eat any specimen of an endangered species.

Seattle Pioneer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46253 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 5:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
Jesus SP, you won't be happy until you've consumed the last fish and cut down the last tree.

Then WA State will look like Texas.

intercst

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46254 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 6:24 AM
"Snake River sockeye salmon are rebounding"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

removing dams?

They - we? have been going through a dam removal process in the southern
Appalachians to restore the rivers.

They went in for flood control reasons in some cases, power reasons for
some cases, and some where you just kind of wonder - some from the
1930s.

Howie52

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46255 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 6:49 AM
<< "Snake River sockeye salmon are rebounding"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

removing dams?

They - we? have been going through a dam removal process in the southern
Appalachians to restore the rivers. >>

Of course many liberals, Democrats and environmentalists have been working to tear out dams in Washington and Oregon as part of the War on the Working Class. That includes three huge dams on the Snake River, which environmentalists took a run at during the Clinton administration, although in the end Clinton rejected that campaign --- I give him credit for that.

Digging up those dams would have eliminated huge amounts of VERY CHEAP hydroelectric power and eliminated the ability to use barge traffic from transportation on the river, all in the name of salmon that aren't special except in the imaginations of biologists and which human can't consume anyway since they are "endangered species."

While they weren't successful in getting the political branches to dig up these dams, they continue their campaign to destroy them through the courts.

They'll be back.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Howie52 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46258 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 11:42 AM
"While they weren't successful in getting the political branches to dig up these dams, they continue their campaign to destroy them through the courts.

They'll be back.

Seattle Pioneer "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The ones removed down here have been court ordered - although exactly
how the case-law breaks down is not anything I have read about or been involved.

Howie52

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46259 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 11:56 AM
Recommendations: 4
And of course human beings will never be allowed to eat any specimen of an endangered species.

Yes. That's the only excuse for allowing any life on this planet - can we eat it?

. . . and of course this same line of reasoning argues against trees so we might as well clear cut the forests down to rubble (fruit and nut trees being the only exception).

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46260 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 12:04 PM
<< First Elwha and Glines Canyon, and now Condit: The three largest dam removals ever in the country will be under way in Washington today, when contractors detonate 800 pounds of dynamite and blast the White Salmon River free. >>

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2016606447_condit26m....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxMHmw3Z-U

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46266 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 2:45 PM
Recommendations: 3
Jesus SP, you won't be happy until you've consumed the last fish and cut down the last tree.

Nothing will be left except cockroaches and Twinkies. And thanks to Obama we won't even have the Twinkies.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46267 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 3:05 PM
Recommendations: 2
Nothing will be left except cockroaches and Twinkies. And thanks to Obama we won't even have the Twinkies.

Well, one form of pestilence down, one to go.

--FY

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46268 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 6:19 PM
cost to the public of nearly $9,000 per fish.

But the meat is very flavorful and the fish is surprisingly large.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46269 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/18/2012 6:56 PM
Recommendations: 1
cost to the public of nearly $9,000 per fish.

But the meat is very flavorful and the fish is surprisingly large.

Plus, at that price, it's mil-spec fish.

--FY

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 46278 of 61159
Subject: Re: Special Today! $9,000 Salmon Date: 11/19/2012 2:11 AM
<< cost to the public of nearly $9,000 per fish.

But the meat is very flavorful and the fish is surprisingly large.>>

You get to pay for the fish, but not eat it. It's an endangered species after all ---- are you a barbarian?

Seattle Pioneer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement